Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-19-2005, 10:38 PM

shadowboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to shadowboy Send a message via MSN to shadowboy Send a message via Yahoo to shadowboy
Default tiger tail cuke and brittle star

Just a quick question. I've been thinking about getting a tiger tail cuke.
I dont know if they have the ability to release poison when their dying or stressed? I know some of them, like the sea apple can. Also would my brittle star, a fancy yellow, attack him? He likes to attack anything i put in there, including my hand!
Thanks alot
tristan

Livestock: powderblue tang,scopas tang,sailfin tang, blue tang, longnose hawkfish, coral beauty,2 clown fish,royal gramma,checkerboard wrasse, sixline wrasse.

soon to running 55 gallon refugium.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:59 AM

Dale D is on a distinguished road

None of my brittlestars, including a very large green one, has ever bothered any of my cucumbers. Brittlestars have such a good sense of smell that they will usually come out to check out any new additions (coral etc) to the tank. They may look like they are attacking it, but, they rarely do any harm once they have figured out what it is.

I have never heard of a tiger tail poisoning a tank. I have seen pink ones do it, but, only ones that had been sucked into powerheads. The cucumber was OK, but, every fish in the tank was dead. I had one die unstressed in my tank and it did not hurt anything.

I would be more worried about powerheads than brittlestars. Make sure all pump and powerhead intakes have a screen on them.