Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-13-2004, 03:00 PM

molybdenumman is on a distinguished road
Default Advice for improving my fish stock

HI all,

I recently took down my 50 gallon tank and setup my new 90 gallon tank. Right now I have a yellow tang, a coral beauty and a tomato clown. I have a few soft corals and a few hard corals as well. Lots of live rock too.

I am hoping for recommendations for 2-3 new fish for my new set-up. I am not going out to get them tomorrow, just want to start planning and researching. Please include any pitfalls that might occur with your recommendations.

Thanks

DanTheMan
Old 12-13-2004, 03:38 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

I would add a couple of gobies and a butterfly of some sort. They would all get along with your existing fish and add some diversity. Down the road after the tank has matured I'd get a manderine as well.

Good luck!
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 12-13-2004, 05:17 PM

The few things i have read said that butterflies are only good for fish only tanks. Can they exist in reef tanks?
Old 12-13-2004, 05:36 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

I have a copper banded butterfly in my reef tank. He eats mysis like a pig and gets along great with my clowns and manderine. The only time I've seen him pick at corals is if they are injured, he will eat the slime or zoanthalae strands. I have no injured corals in my tank anymore and I haven't seen him pick once.

Dan
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 12-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Most butterfly spp. are either non-reef safe or near impossible to keep. Heniochus & Copperbands are generally considered reef-safe, but that's not 100% guaranteed. You could put in a Lamarck's Angel, which is a pretty, peaceful angel and reef-safe, although, getting one in Kamloops may be difficult. (most other large angels are non-reef-safe & you already have a dwarf angel) I have scissortail gobies/dartfish which are also beautiful, peaceful & reef-safe, but you have to make sure there's no place for them to jump out.

Another tang, that would be non-competitive with your yellow, such as a kole would be nice. A regal or blue tang is beautiful, but getting a healthy, ick-free one is the trick.

Are you planning to come down to the coast for your next fish or shop locally or mail-order them?
Old 12-13-2004, 06:20 PM

I get most of my fish through J&L.

I thought I read that butterflies also eat feather dusters. Has anyone experienced this?
Old 12-13-2004, 06:23 PM

I've also read that Kole tangs will fight with all other tangs. Is this true?
Old 12-13-2004, 07:11 PM

Has anyone had any problems with a flame hawkfish in a reef tank?
Old 12-13-2004, 07:20 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

Hawkfish eat invertebrates.

For what it's worth, Heniochus diphreutes is supposed to be a better bet in a reef tank than other species within the genus. H. acuminatus is more widely available and looks almost identical.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 12-13-2004, 08:34 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

I heard copperband butterflies eat zoanthids, how true is this, I would love a CBB but I have stayed away from them due to having some zoanthids.