Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics livestock related only)

Old 12-13-2001, 05:00 AM
Administrator

titus has disabled reputation
Default Cost Poll

Hello,

Just want to do a little poll here. If we are to build a calcium reactor with 6"OD cast acrylic tube, keyholed flange, die cut gasket, bubble counter, all necessary plumbing, tubing, excluding the CO2 gear and reactor media. How much do you think it'll cost you? Oh please include the price of an Eheim 1250 pump as well. Just material and machining cost, with no labour included.
Old 12-13-2001, 05:22 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default Cost Poll

Titus, as we were discussing, I use extruded tubing. I can get it for 18/ft. I use 1 sq. ft. of black 1/4" acrylic sheet at ~$8/ft. (when sold by the cut ft.)Bubble counter is about $3 total. 6 each of screws and wingnuts at 0.19/pc. PVC plumbing I figure is less than $20 with service joints. Gaskets are hand made from 1/8" neoprene @ 5.98 sq. ft. This gives me a total of ~4 gaskets when I use the "scrap" for other things. MAG 2 pump is $65. I haven't got the tubing yet, but I expect below $10. This puts me at no more than $140. The one I am currently building was made from off-cuts so was a bit less.
Not exactly a Canreef reactor, but it will dissolve Ca++ and put it in my tank.
Old 12-13-2001, 05:48 AM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer
Default Cost Poll

i may be off base here, but...dont you have these prices/cost values already?

anyhow, if WE were to build one it would cost me whatever the person who built it for me charges [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

i do have the pump already tho, so i would guess $100-150.
Old 12-13-2001, 10:17 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road
Default Cost Poll

hey Brad, I was told yesterday to try capital Iron or indufast for the nylon screws..

Steve
Old 12-13-2001, 11:22 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default Cost Poll

Steve, home depot has nylon screws. I was just looking for them in black. Turns out that the black ones are just dyed that color and I can do that myself.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:23 AM

DJ88 is on a distinguished road
Default Cost Poll

Brad where are you getting 6" tubing for $18 a foot?
Old 12-13-2001, 12:56 PM
Just a guy..

Default Cost Poll

Darren, I got mine at Plexi-Klass on John St. The guy there has been great with help and advice. I'm new to this acrylic fabricating stuff and needed some advice on a few things. The owner actually brought me into the shop to show me how to do some stuff.
Industrial Plastics charges that for 4" tubing. I try not to shop there anymore as they are fairly pricey. I hear that there is a place on Keating X Rd. that is pretty good too.
Old 12-13-2001, 01:16 PM

DJ88 is on a distinguished road
Default Cost Poll

Sweet.. any minimum length?
Old 12-13-2001, 01:55 PM

ldzielak is on a distinguished road
Default Cost Poll

Brad,

Do you have a ph# for Plexi-Klass? I would like to call and see if they would ship me 2 sections (4" and 6"). Also I have seen on some DIY pages that "service joint" can be used on the top of the reactor. Large one of course and only using the halph with the oring. This looked like less work than key hole designs, but could cost more I would think.

Lee
Old 12-13-2001, 02:10 PM
Just a guy..

Default Cost Poll

Lee, they don't have any more in stock, but I'm going to order some and can probably send some to you. How much of each do you need?

Darren, not sure about min purchase since they had the lenghts I needed as "scrap". I'm sure we can pool together to meet a minimum, if needed.
I work just around the corner so I'll go by at lunch and see what I can order. I need a few feet of each for now.