Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-26-2017, 04:36 AM

Mattyb is on a distinguished road
Default Tank weight

So here's my question. I'm looking at upgrading my tank from 60 gal to 110gallon.my tank runs along the floor joists and not perpendicular to my joists. Do you think it's relatively safe being a longer tank (72). Everyone says it's too heavy to put that way otherwise it will fall through the floor. I've scoured the internet and not once could I find a story about a tank falling through. I wish mythbusters was still on because it would be a good episode lol. Anyone have there tank running parallel to the tank? Did you have issues? Any damage to your home? Advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-26-2017, 04:51 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Can you beef up the structure?
Old 05-26-2017, 05:11 AM

In what way? Only way would be to take my 60gallon down and remove my laminate floooring and then the sheets of underlay to get at the joists. which I actually thought about doing. Then maybe sistering the joists.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:01 AM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy

The idea is to spread the weight of the tank over several joists. Sistering would help, but I would place the tank over a base spanning several joists. You can do this by adding a wider base under the tank, or getting between the joists with some blocking, so the joists work together. Add blocking or cross-bridging between 4-5 adjacent joists, securing it with both glue and screws. Or use Strong-tie bracing. If you can remove the plywood above the joists, you could also glue it before nailing it. That helps with the spreading of the loads...
Old 05-26-2017, 12:43 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

It won't fall through the floor - that's a bit dramatic. What year was your house built? What type of structure is it? Are there floor tiles anywhere near where the tank will go?

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:27 PM

It's 7 years old. It's on laminate flooring. Unfortunately I can't turn it so it's perpendicular to the floor joists which means it would sit on maybe two joists. I might pull the floor up and try the blocking. Just sucks that there is no where in my house that I can put a bigger tank
Old 05-26-2017, 03:35 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

I've never heard of issues with anything under 125. Your 110 tank full would weigh about 1300 pounds. If you had 6 200 pound men stand there in a row would they fall through the floor? I'd be worried about a 180 gallon but has anyone ever reinforced a floor for a 110?
Old 05-26-2017, 04:42 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

If your worried I'd just lay a 1/2 inch sheet of plywood underneath the base to spread out the weight a little more and some piece of mind as well
Old 05-26-2017, 05:43 PM

Awesome, thanks guys. I guess the best thing to do is just check the level of the tank every day and see if there is any sag. And if I notice then strip it down before the seals bust. I don't think there would be any issues though. Thanks for all the advice 😁
Old 05-27-2017, 01:44 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyb View Post
It's 7 years old. It's on laminate flooring. Unfortunately I can't turn it so it's perpendicular to the floor joists which means it would sit on maybe two joists. I might pull the floor up and try the blocking. Just sucks that there is no where in my house that I can put a bigger tank
By "structure" I meant is it a house, condo, duplex, etc? Only 7 years old, don't think you'll have any trouble. The tank isn't that big (volume-wise), and it's spread over 6 feet long.

I suggested his to someone else on here recently: if you're concerned, build a stand that's bigger than the tank so you can spread the load over 3 joists instead of just two.

Like this:

SPS fanatic.