Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 05-08-2017, 04:27 PM

RichKlit is on a distinguished road
Default New to the hobby. Few questions

Hello everyone,

Great site!! I'm brand new to the SW reef tank hobby and I just bought a 14 gallon biocube that was set up for SW, and I have a few questions if someone with more knowledge wouldn't mind helping?

1. The tank came with fake rock the guy didn't know what kind but said they were version 2.1. They are kinda purple and look pretty good. My question is can I mix them with live rock? I want to get the whole biodiversity with live rock? Or should it be only live rock or all fake rock? Also where can I get live rock?

2. The tank came with 1 to 1 1/2 inches of sand. Is this enough? Should I take it out and buy new stuff? Or just leave it alone?

3. Once the tank is cycled what should I add first? Fish, shrimp, snails, corals?

4. Should I clean the whole thing inside and out before I start setting it up? If so what should I use to clean it?

Any additional tips would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by RichKlit; 05-08-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:04 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKlit View Post
Hello everyone,

Great site!! I'm brand new to the SW reef tank hobby and I just bought a 14 gallon biocube that was set up for SW, and I have a few questions if someone with more knowledge wouldn't mind helping?

1. The tank came with fake rock the guy didn't know what kind but said they were version 2.1. They are kinda purple and look pretty good. My question is can I mix them with live rock? I want to get the whole biodiversity with live rock? Or should it be only live rock or all fake rock? Also where can I get live rock?

You can mix them no problem but try to keep it the same style of rocks or else it will look out of place.

2. The tank came with 1 to 1 1/2 inches of sand. Is this enough? Should I take it out and buy new stuff? Or just leave it alone?

I would use new sand but if the tank looks good then just leave it.

3. Once the tank is cycled what should I add first? Fish, shrimp, snails, corals?

Fish first, corals (varies on what you want but stay with the easy ones at first), snails then shrimps (more sensitive) go slow. BTW Everyone is different, some like to put in the clean up crew before hands, to each of its own.

4. Should I clean the whole thing inside and out before I start setting it up? If so what should I use to clean it?

If its running with water don't clean it just regular maintenance but if it's dry than go ahead and clean it up but you will be going through a cycle.

Any additional tips would be greatly appreciated.
Just go slow and not stuff your tank with everything you want at once.
Happy reefing.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 05-08-2017, 05:24 PM

Thanks I appreciate your response. I've been reading a lot and so much mixed info?!?? I know for sure I'm in no rush, after reading some of the horror stories online I think the one thing I've learned already is go slow.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:48 PM

reefmandan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks I appreciate your response. I've been reading a lot and so much mixed info?!?? I know for sure I'm in no rush, after reading some of the horror stories online I think the one thing I've learned already is go slow.
You can definitely mix the rock, but old rock from a SW tank will tend to leach phosphates and cause unwanted algae growth. My issue is that the appearance of the two different rock styles would bug me. For the sand, throw it in a 5gal bucket, and run a garden hose into the bottom of it, let it overflow with water until it runs clear. You want to get as much crap out of the sand as possible.

I'd give the tank a really good clean, as any organics leftover could also cause unwanted algae growth as it breaks down over time. A good water/vinegar mix can be quite effective.

I've had good success with ATM Colony, it helps to cycle a tank more quickly. Once your cycle has completed (measure ammonia/nitrate), throw a hardy fish into the tank (e.g. damsel, clownfish). Then go really slow after. Too much too soon will tend to put too much of a bioload on your tank, more than it can handle.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:18 AM

Coral Hoarder is on a distinguished road

Hey, welcome to the hobby

So you can definitely mix rock I wouldn't thought tends to look off instead I would get a few pieces of established rock to put in the back compartment .
Definitely buy new sand sand is cheep.why use someone's gross old problem sand. A few extra bucks goes along way. Definitely start by adding a few snails and hermit crabs when you start getting an algea bloom i would recomend doing a fish less cycle as its kinda hard on the fish.
The best way to clean your tank would be to go to Walmart and buy 3 gallons of vinegar will cost like 6 bucks an mix it with enough water to run the tank till its clean

Last edited by Coral Hoarder; 05-12-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:50 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

As everyone has already stated above, these are all good options. At the end of the day mild Your Tank to your personality and personal taste. If you want that natural look of a Reef you may want to ditch the fake rock or limit it. Do your thing, ask questions and most of all have fun.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:55 PM

Thanks guys!!! Going super slow no rush at all. Got it set up, sand in and rock in!!! Looks so good IMO. Are there any upgrades I will need down the road? I have the standard 14 gallon biocube no upgrades?
Old 05-22-2017, 09:29 PM

Hello everyone, I have another question for you guys I was able to get a protein skimmer for my biocube and I installed it but it's not producing any bubbles and the water isn't even drawing up to the collection cup? Is it the air pressure or does it take time before bubbles occur?
Old 05-22-2017, 11:39 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Skimmers tend not to work right away on a new tank simply because there is nothing for them to skim out yet. Patience. It always takes several days to tune a skimmer. Make a small adjustment and give it several hours to see the outcome.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:44 PM
Zoa Hoarder

davej is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hello everyone, I have another question for you guys I was able to get a protein skimmer for my biocube and I installed it but it's not producing any bubbles and the water isn't even drawing up to the collection cup? Is it the air pressure or does it take time before bubbles occur?

Make sure the airline that goes down to the pump isn't clogged shut, not allowing air to mix in.