Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-30-2017, 02:28 PM
The Don

Galizio is on a distinguished road
Default Dosing alk and cal

Hello,
After long time dosing c-balance I'm determined to switch to bulk chemicals, to save some money and also because this way can dose minor element as needed.
I'm wondering what product you recommend, I was thinking the brs bulk chemicals, the AF one and also the j&l home brand.
Mostly I'm looking for purity and also clean mix. Not really into a cheap way to do it or DYU .
Have to say that I use the brs mag already, and also have alk and cal chloride to get my levels to a point and then start the balling with c balance.
Also what's the best way or the easier to start dosing those chemicals.
Thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2017, 05:55 PM

dcw1sfu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galizio View Post
Hello,
After long time dosing c-balance I'm determined to switch to bulk chemicals, to save some money and also because this way can dose minor element as needed.
I'm wondering what product you recommend, I was thinking the brs bulk chemicals, the AF one and also the j&l home brand.
Mostly I'm looking for purity and also clean mix. Not really into a cheap way to do it or DYU .
Have to say that I use the brs mag already, and also have alk and cal chloride to get my levels to a point and then start the balling with c balance.
Also what's the best way or the easier to start dosing those chemicals.
Thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interested in people's thoughts as well. Ive never used BRS but always hear that it is the best. Im curious as to what people are comparing it too. Ive been using the bulk chemicals from Reefsupplies.ca and have been happy with how easy they mix, however, if BRS truly is a more pure and clean option then I would definitely buy it. I actually need to purchase some more, so I'm interested to hear peoples opinions. Also interested on how clean JL's Reef Crest bulk stuff is.

I currently use reefsupplies.ca soda ash and calc chloride and then mix in the aquaforest component strong. Also use the aquaforest reef mineral salts.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:23 PM

dino is on a distinguished road

so when you use soda ash what are you trying to achieve? because at my work we use soda ash strictly to increase ph and I use sodium bicarbonate to increase alkalinity. I wonder what others say? I dose calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate and magnesium occasionally
Old 04-30-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
so when you use soda ash what are you trying to achieve? because at my work we use soda ash strictly to increase ph and I use sodium bicarbonate to increase alkalinity. I wonder what others say? I dose calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate and magnesium occasionally
I use soda ash to raise alkalinity which also has the property of raising PH. Soda ash is sodium carbonate, which is what you achieve if you heat sodium bicarbonate.

To raise alk by 1DKH in a 100 gallon tank, you would use 11.4 grams of sodium bicarbonate, or alternatively use 7.2 grams of soda ash (sodium carbonate)

Last edited by dcw1sfu; 04-30-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:17 PM

Both will raise ph but bicarb is much more efficient for alkalinity with less of a ph swing. If this was not the case then every pool would not use bicarb for alk
Old 04-30-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Both will raise ph but bicarb is much more efficient for alkalinity with less of a ph swing. If this was not the case then every pool would not use bicarb for alk
Strange, every time i use Sodium Bicarbonate to raise alk, I see a PH decrease.

I don't see much of a PH swing using sodium carbonate as I use a dosing pump every 2 hours to dose it.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:07 PM

Not the case I add many times a day to huge volumes and see ph raise after adding. We use soda ash to raise when we use gas chlorine which lowers ph
Old 04-30-2017, 11:33 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Bicarb temporarily lowers pH slightly because of the off-gassing of CO2 but then pH will go back up.

Carb doesn't have CO2 so it instantly raises pH slightly.

Neither raise pH as dramatically as Ca hydroxide (limewater aka kalk).

People don't normally dose a big enough dose to see much pH effect using carb or bicarb. On tanks with higher KH demands the use of carb will trend a slightly higher pH.

The pH effect in freshwater is much more dramatic than saltwater.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 04-30-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:07 AM

I was hoping you would chime in. So what do you use for alk?
Old 05-01-2017, 02:41 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I was hoping you would chime in. So what do you use for alk?
Bicarb in client tanks because some of them dose manually, so a smaller pH effect is better.

Carb in my own tank. I'm not dosing heavily enough to make any measurable difference in pH. The CO2 scrubber does have a +0.2 pH effect though.

SPS fanatic.