Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-27-2017, 02:57 PM

e46er is on a distinguished road
Default worst nightmare 250DD blowout

As some of you may know last year I set up a new 250 G deep dimension SPS tank at my shop which was my dream tank Ive always wanted a 36" front to back tank.
anyways I had to fly to anaheim sunday morning for work training and one of my guys called me in a panic at 730 monday morning- tank is empty the shop is flooded and fish are flopping around. i guided him through getting them out and into my 50 gal mixing bucket. 5 fish survived, an urchin and a few snails
ALL the SPS died the rocks are pooched. 3 guys spent all day monday cleaning up and I got back wednesday and spent 6 hours cleaning everything.

1) does anyone have a 3 or 4 foot tank not drilled and possibly a hang on filter, with some type of established media I could borrow temporarily?

2) where do I go from here? the tank was purchased late april early may last year. do I go to the store or straight to the manufacture?

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC
Old 04-27-2017, 03:04 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46er View Post
As some of you may know last year I set up a new 250 G deep dimension SPS tank at my shop which was my dream tank Ive always wanted a 36" front to back tank.
anyways I had to fly to anaheim sunday morning for work training and one of my guys called me in a panic at 730 monday morning- tank is empty the shop is flooded and fish are flopping around. i guided him through getting them out and into my 50 gal mixing bucket. 5 fish survived, an urchin and a few snails
ALL the SPS died the rocks are pooched. 3 guys spent all day monday cleaning up and I got back wednesday and spent 6 hours cleaning everything.

1) does anyone have a 3 or 4 foot tank not drilled and possibly a hang on filter, with some type of established media I could borrow temporarily?

2) where do I go from here? the tank was purchased late april early may last year. do I go to the store or straight to the manufacture?
Wow, sorry to hear about this! Such a loss of life.

1) Sorry can't help you there.

2) What type of stand did you have the tank on? Many manufacturers will only warranty tanks that are on their own stands. The store will deal with the manufacturer for you.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:24 PM

e46er is on a distinguished road

I Built the stand much beefier than the 1x4 stands they sell for insane amounts of money. I have lots of pictures on the stand with level on it and the tank filled with a level on it as well.
thanks I will call the store.

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC
Old 04-27-2017, 03:43 PM

kyl is on a distinguished road

Any picture of the crack/where did it crack?
Old 04-27-2017, 03:49 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46er View Post
I Built the stand much beefier than the 1x4 stands they sell for insane amounts of money. I have lots of pictures on the stand with level on it and the tank filled with a level on it as well.
thanks I will call the store.
Yeah that doesn't matter. If they require the tank to be on their own stand then you're out of luck. Did you hear the story about the 1200-gallon L-shaped tank in Ontario that blew out? ATM built it and they didn't warranty it because it was not on an ATM stand. That was a $105,000 tank.

Good luck! I hope you at least get a replacement tank! That's probably only a tiny fraction of the cost incurred.

If you don't get a warranty tank talk to Dave at Concept Aquariums for a replacement. He's really good with warranty.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:41 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

I don't know if this helps but I have an empty 20 gallon long I could lend you and a remora aqua c HOB skimmer I'm not using you could borrow. I also have a 14 gallon biocube. I have a few peices of live rock in my sump but not much.

Let me know if you want to borrow any of this to keep a fish or two in until your back up and running. Thought I'd offer as I'm in Maple Ridge too so getting the stuff to you would be easy.

If you need any help with anything I'd be happy to lend a hand, just shoot me a text...

Gord 604-250-2776
Old 04-27-2017, 04:41 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Ugh... sorry to hear about this one. That is always in the back of my mind (worst case). Best of luck with moving forward and hope you are able to find your temporary tank soon.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:42 PM

Piscez is on a distinguished road

Really sorry to hear this.. I don't have a spare tank but I have have an established 220gal tank I could host some of your livestock for you possibly? Any fish conflicts they could hang out in my sump? Not sure if this is a help? PM me with your cell # if this helps
Old 04-27-2017, 06:46 PM

dcw1sfu is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your losses. Would your insurance not cover the damage and equipment losses?
Old 04-27-2017, 08:28 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

For item 2 go through the store you purchased it from unless they specifically tell you to deal with the manufacturer directly. The tank should be under warranty so getting a replacement shouldn't be an issue. While some manufacturers may required an engineered stand for sizes above X this should be clearly defined in their warranty policy. Even then it's usually a grey area meaning that if you're reasonable you'll get a replacement tank but if you start seeking additional compensation you'll probably be told to pound sand. I've read a few stories online with Marineland DD tanks blowing out and they did cover the tanks, but only the tanks.

For livestock losses you're out of luck, no insurance policy will cover livestock above the $1500 or so mark so unless you're already making a claim for water damage the insurance route is a waste of time.