Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Lower Mainland

Old 04-04-2017, 04:24 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road
Default Smell your water....

So I recently started a thread about my corals dying right after water changes and I think I've figured it out.

I use an RO filter system to clean my water before adding salt and putting it in my tank. I've been using the same system for 4 years and change my filters out quite regularly even though they hardly ever look dirty.

I use empty 5 gallon blue water jugs to collect the water from the RO system, I then add the salt into the jugs, mix, let sit over night and away I go.

Last week I made 3 jugs, capped them and put them where I store them. I pulled them out 4 days later and popped the cap off to add water and I couldn't believe the smell. CHLORINE! My jugs smelt like a swimming pool! The chlorine in Maple Ridges water is so strong now it was getting through my charcoal filter of the RO unit and because I was capping the jugs it couldn't evaporate. Turns our I was pouring 15 gallons of chlorinated water into my tank.

Best guess is because of the water run off and huge rains in March they are over chlorinating the water to kill any bacteria.

This is more of a heads up for reefers in the Maple Ridge area.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:59 PM

duncangweller is on a distinguished road

Our water stinks in Walnut Grove too. Really quite a strong chlorine smell.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2017, 10:14 PM

xoticlover is on a distinguished road

I live in Maple Ridge and I havent noticed the Chlorine smell when doing recent water changes. I will make sure to add a little more Prime when I do the next ones.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:15 PM

IronChefItaly is on a distinguished road

Really common misconception that every RODI unit is equipped to remove chlorine/chloromines from municipal water supply. Very few are, and if your carbon manufacturer doesn't state it, chances are the majority of them are getting through - this is why I still dose my RODI water with Aquavitro Alpha. BulkReefSupply covers this topic very well, see the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEL8KvDr3-k
Old 04-04-2017, 10:36 PM

dcw1sfu is on a distinguished road

Appreciate the heads up. I think my carbon filter is a chloramine plus but ill check my water to male sure.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:37 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

Actually noticed my water outta sink really is strong smelling today.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:06 PM

kyl is on a distinguished road

A strong chlorine odor will usually occur if they're main flushing in your area, be it from routine maintenance or pipe replacement and repair (main breaks). You can confirm if routine maintenance or a repair has taken place with a call to your city's engineering customer service number. Additionally they should have put local notices out before doing any main flushing maintenance work.

AFIAK none of the drinking water in the GVRD contains added Chloramines, Metro decided long ago that Chlorine treatment would be the safest option for the regional population and ecosystem. You can confirm as such though again with a call to your city's engineering customer service desk.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:47 PM

IronChefItaly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw1sfu View Post
Appreciate the heads up. I think my carbon filter is a chloramine plus but ill check my water to male sure.
Of everything in tapwater, chlorine/chloromine is the only thing we know to be present at levels that are directly harmful to our livestock. To operate a reef successfully long term is all about acknowledging and mitigating risk. At the expense of a few ml of Seachem Prime or Aquavitro Alpha, you eliminate any risk of fluctuating concentrations or the actual effectiveness of your carbon block. One of the more worthwhile practices to adopt in my mind.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:38 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronChefItaly View Post
Really common misconception that every RODI unit is equipped to remove chlorine/chloromines from municipal water supply. Very few are, and if your carbon manufacturer doesn't state it, chances are the majority of them are getting through
I test the water from my RO/DI after carbon and before RO membrane (I installed a tee and ball valve just for this purpose) about once a month. The tap water here has about 2 ppm chlorine and the single 1 micron carbon block on my RO/DI has no problem breaking the chloramine bond and removing the left over chlorine. I think the people selling the chloramine blocks are doing a good job advertising.

Chlorine also damages RO membranes really badly and really quickly. Any chlorine getting to it is going to wreck the membrane in no time. If typical carbon blocks didn't work good enough I think we'd see a lot more people with toasted RO membranes.

My RO membrane is over 6 years old, has made thousands of gallons of water and still puts out only 3 ppm (about 260-280 ppm tap water). No way could my membrane last this long if chlorine was getting to it.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:17 PM

dino is on a distinguished road

you have a reading of 2ppm of free chlorine out of your tap? I find that really hard to believe gosh I keep our swimming pools at that. do you mean .02 because that would make sense