Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-11-2017, 03:57 PM

vanreefer is on a distinguished road
Default Adding PO4?

Hi
I have encountered a problem... NO3 is ~50ppm (salifert) and PO4 is 0 (Hanna ULR). I have been using aquaforest pro bio S and nopox to try to get nitrates down... Seems I have exhausted all the PO4 in the tank... Any advice on how to proceed? Add a source of PO4? Don't want to over feed as my nitrates are already up
Thanks
VR
Old 03-11-2017, 04:46 PM
The Don

Galizio is on a distinguished road

What? I got the same issue since I started with aquaforest...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2017, 05:16 PM
LOVES STAR WARS... mostly Ewoks and Porgs.

hunggi74 is on a distinguished road

Wait for Wheelman76 to chime in. He doesn't get up until later but he had same issues.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:01 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Wish I could give you some of my phosphates as they won't go under 0.25 LOL.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:58 AM

crimper is on a distinguished road

I had the same issue after I switched to AF. My nitrates rose from 0 to 30 ppm after a couple of weeks of using Pro Bio S/NP Pro/Zeomix. My nutrients (NO3: 30ppm PO4: 0) sat there for 3 weeks.

I did 25% weekly WC to lower my NO3 level and continue dosing Pro Bio S/NP Pro. I must admit I almost give up after 2 weeks though I didn't noticed anything odd with my corals except that my yellow green monti turned darker green.

Until last week my NO3 dropped to 10ppm to undetectable 2 days ago. I noticed that my skimate turned darker and darker and indication that the bacteria now took over.

I'm dosing KNO3 now for 2 straight days now and feeding heavily to balance the system.

How long have you been using AF? Do you use Zeomix?
Old 03-12-2017, 08:59 AM

iamfrontosa is on a distinguished road

I have on occasion added PO4 source to bring up the level. I used Flourish Phosphorus with no adverse affect on corals. Little bit goes a long way lol
Old 03-12-2017, 05:37 PM
The Don

Galizio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimper View Post
I had the same issue after I switched to AF. My nitrates rose from 0 to 30 ppm after a couple of weeks of using Pro Bio S/NP Pro/Zeomix. My nutrients (NO3: 30ppm PO4: 0) sat there for 3 weeks.

I did 25% weekly WC to lower my NO3 level and continue dosing Pro Bio S/NP Pro. I must admit I almost give up after 2 weeks though I didn't noticed anything odd with my corals except that my yellow green monti turned darker green.

Until last week my NO3 dropped to 10ppm to undetectable 2 days ago. I noticed that my skimate turned darker and darker and indication that the bacteria now took over.

I'm dosing KNO3 now for 2 straight days now and feeding heavily to balance the system.

Don't know if the OP use the zeolite, I do , but are the zeo brand. I managed to lower the po4 and also the nitrate from 50 to 25 in the last to weeks also with water changes. I noticed my value went up when I took the zeolite off the reactor and use them in a mesh bag, so now the reactor is back on and the values are going down slowly, but at least going down... I used to dose mb7 and biofuel before switching to aquaforest pro bio s /np pro for over a month now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2017, 07:28 PM

vanreefer is on a distinguished road

Sound like a similar situation. I am doing water changes now to help with the No3. Don't use the zeolites and been using AF for about a year. I am in recovery mode after a huge STN of all my acros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimper View Post

Old 03-12-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanreefer View Post
Sound like a similar situation. I am doing water changes now to help with the No3. Don't use the zeolites and been using AF for about a year. I am in recovery mode after a huge STN of all my acros.
I think Zeomix played a vital role on my system entering the ULNS as it absorbs Amonia before it turn into Nitrates.

I just did another test again today NO3 is 0ppm.

In your case, I would continue doing large WC to manage NO3. Im not sure how NOPOX works so I cant comment on that.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:20 PM

If I may add, be careful with Zeolites. My corals didn't like it when I started using it. I started with 1/4 of the recommended dosage. my corals turned pale close to bleaching after a week of using it.