Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-04-2017, 02:03 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road
Post DKoKoMan's 150g Reef Tank

Hey Folks,

I have decided to attempt to create and share a thread on my new 150g reef tank. I purchased the DT and Sump from a local Edmonton Reefer in December, 2017 as he no longer had the time to keep up with the hobby. I am in desperate need of a larger tank as many of my fish are at the larger sizes and they need the space. The build officially started late January 2017 as I am in the middle of my basement development and trying to balance both. The DT is 60" long, 24" wide, 24" high and the sump is a 50g (single baffle setup). The tank and Sump are nothing special but they should work well for me.

I have ran my 75g mixed Reef for over 6 months, I can honestly say that I have had many ups and downs. My love of diving and the ocean has kept me grounded and I absolutely love the saltwater fish. The wife has even grown fond of the tank (she has taken the time name them and feed them).

The goal for this setup is to setup a mostly SPS tank (although I will make room for some select LPS pieces and zoas). The initial moving the tank in to the basement was a struggle. I left it in a corner and didn't do much with it as i designed the overall layout for the basement.

Here is the tank as it stood for about a month (don't mind how dirty it is). I spent a couple hours cleaning the tank completely inside and outside in between my shift work.

Here is the sump (also dirty) and the cut plumbing as everything was setup with no disconnect.

Everything was pretty standard and I needed to come up with a plan on how to keep everything simple and easy to maintain. I decided right off the hop that the tank stand was not high enough for viewing pleasure. I ended up adding to the plywood and 2x4 base to provide that extra height.

Stay tuned for an *update* as I need to find the time for next write up.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:27 AM

AquaAddict is on a distinguished road

Nice looking tank and nice dimensions. Mine is black trim as well: 72x22x22.

AquaAddict
Old 03-04-2017, 04:57 AM

The size is perfect for the wall we have chosen to set it up on. Your dimensions are fairly similar!
Old 03-04-2017, 03:26 PM

shabidou1990 is on a distinguished road

Nice size tank! Excited to see updates !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabidou1990 View Post
Nice size tank! Excited to see updates !
Thanks! I will find time to throw out the next update
Old 03-06-2017, 04:07 AM

So I went back and forth on my sump design as I wanted to take a minimalistic approach. I spent a couple hours laying out the sump using some cardboard as the baffles and laying out the equipment. The layout I chose is simple 3 compartment setup:

| | SKIMMER ~>| REFUGIUM ~>| RETURN | |

I took my measurements when I was satisfied with the layout and ordered the glass to be cut from Crystal Glass. I went with 1/4" thickness and chose "grey float" to match the current sump and to be darker to reduce the light leaked out from the Refugium area. Crystal Glass was able to cut and polish the pieces the same day.

The big factor for me was to fit a filter sock in or go sockless. After reading the threads on Canreef and RC I noticed that it was a divided result. I looked at lots of build threads on Canreef and saw many successful setups without socks. I decided to leave room for a clamp on sock holder in case it goes sideways and looks like a snow flurry in my tank. My plan is to utilize a filter sock on the overflow pipe (temporary) and then remove it.

I picked up some aquarium safe silicone (didn't want to chance using some from the local hardware store) and began laying out the sump compartments.

The first baffle in the skimmer compartment was siliconed in and is 10" high to maintain the maximum level for my Ice Cap K2 Skimmer. I used the maximum as I will utilize a DIY egg crate stand to boost the skimmer height if required. I then siliconed two additional baffles for the bubble trap (Over / Under / Over). In between the two baffles I placed green filters. I used 1" 90 degree PVC elbows as spacers.

The Refugium section baffles are 8" high and I plan on putting sand and LR. The goal is to grow Chaeto and cultivate pods. I utilized egg crate on the last baffle which separates the Refugium and the return section. I found some smaller black plastic (used for knitting) which I placed in the middle and it will float with the water level. This should prevent any fish making its way in to the return section.

Skimmer compartment and bubble trap.

The eggcrate separating the fuge and return compartment.

I was able to make time to finish the plumbing on the tank. I used 1" pipe for the return and 1.25" for the overflow. I kept it similar to the previous owner, except I used a unions and ball valves. I was not a fan of the plumbing having to be cut to come apart. Simple setup and hopefully it functions fine when I do the full and water test.

I'm looking forward to filling the DT and Sump with water! I will hopefully get this done in the next couple days and test out the plumbing. I had ordered the Jebao DCP 8000 for a return pump from Reef Supplies. So I have been itching to take this thing out of the box and run some water through it!
Old 03-06-2017, 09:40 PM

amberc12 is on a distinguished road

Lookin awesome!
Old 03-06-2017, 11:44 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Nice start! Are you going to have the tank displayed on both sides?
Old 03-07-2017, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberc12 View Post
Lookin awesome!
Thanks! Hopefully I can keep moving forward with the progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
Nice start! Are you going to have the tank displayed on both sides?
I'm still looking where exactly to place the tank to suite the basement. Considered viewing from all sides or adding a black vinyl background and just having the 3 side viewing against the wall.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:04 AM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

Looking good great start