Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia

Old 10-12-2016, 02:04 AM

Tyfighter is on a distinguished road
Default Weather warnings!

I'm not sure if all of you west coasters have seen the warning but it looks like we are about to get hit hard with some sever wind and rain. Power outages are expected so I figured I would start a post for people to share with some of the newer people on how they prep for this!
Old 10-12-2016, 02:27 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Wind and rain? Pfff...we got 12" of snow overnight last week! Waaay too early for that...

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:03 AM

mohammadali is on a distinguished road

Yesterday we drove to Kelowna saw snow on both side of highway and found a frozen dead fox
Old 10-12-2016, 03:28 PM

Tankboy is on a distinguished road

Gonna gas up the generator and stock up on firewood! Hope that no trees fall on my house!
Old 10-12-2016, 03:35 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

BC Hydro warns there could be even more power outages due to the high winds on Saturday and clean out gutters, drains, sewer covers & storm drains today cause we can expect a tonne of rain over the next few days. Today (Wed.) is the last of the good weather days for the next while. Three big storms heading our way!!! Have your "power outage" emergency protocols and supplies on hand and hopefully none of us gets negatively affected by these major storms.

Good luck and stay SAFE everyone!!!

Anthony
Old 10-12-2016, 03:54 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Well, if anyone wants a cheap (but good) generator for back-up, I just put this one up for sale on Craigslist.
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/tls/5820201879.html
It has remote electric start, so can be turned off and on from within your house. Don't think it will last long at this price.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:23 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

Found a 1500w generator on sale at london drugs for $299 last night. After last years 3 day black out I figured its worth it. Hope my neighbours don't mind...lol
Old 10-13-2016, 07:27 PM

Tyfighter is on a distinguished road

I have actually been considering one for my apartment patio. I'm sure my neighbours will love me haha
Old 10-13-2016, 07:52 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Actually, just saw the London Drugs flyer for their sale starting Fri and they have their 3650W gen for $349. I can tell you this is a really good deal.

Just yesterday, I sold my 2400W gen for $300, which is almost 10 years old now. It did have electric remote start, though, which is pretty nifty. I probably could have sold it 3 times over, with all the inquiries. All this storm fear mongering in the news sure helped...

Most, if not all, of these cheaper gens are Honda clones from China, and IMO are actually better than the equivalent Honda. I have owned a couple of Honda gens in the past (before the clones were popular), and while they are good, no question, the clones always seem to have extra features, improvements and capabilities than the original Honda. So I have a hard time paying 2 or 3 times the amount just for the Honda name, esp if it is only standby for power outages. At least I made good use of mine at our cabin.

I recently had to buy a larger generator for the cabin, because I bought an electric log splitter which requires higher initial surge power to start up. So of course I bought another clone from Princess Auto. They often have the best prices for these when they are on sale. And needless to say, works great and very happy with it.

And if you ever need a part (even for the Honda), much, much cheaper to get it trhough AliExpress from China (often free shipping). Only downside is you have a wait a month or so for it to arrive.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:31 PM

squamishbc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyfighter View Post
I have actually been considering one for my apartment patio. I'm sure my neighbours will love me haha
I asked the building manager at my apartment place, and their answer was a big fat no. Which was the answer I was expecting but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.