Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 08-28-2016, 01:19 AM

gmann is on a distinguished road
Default fish behavior

Can someone please explain WTF is going on....

My Lineatus has recently started to change color. Since i have started the tank in March there has always been some mild chasing between the Katoi and lineatus, but in the past few days it has got to the point where the lineatus has gone into hiding.

I first thought to catch and eventually get rid of the aggressor (katoi), however after doing that, i notice every other fish in the tank is goin after the lineatus. My laboutei which is docile as hell, and been with the lineatus in my other tank for over a year, has as joined in the chasing. Even my bartletts have decided to take a break from each other and joined the cause against the lineatus.

The obvious option is to remove the lineatus, but it is my favorite fish, and given that its always hiding i doubt i'll be able to without destroying my structures.

Can anyone explain this social behavior? Tank params are 220g, lots of rock to hide in.

live stock:
lineatus - wuss
katoi - bully#1
laboutei - docile, but now bullying lineatus
temicki - bully #2, but not as much
pintail - seems to be at war with bartletts
bartletts x 5 - they are in their own civil war
potters angel - minding its own business
Old 08-28-2016, 01:23 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Sometimes adding a new fish will help change the behaviors in the tank. Were you planning to add more fish? If so, what did you have in mind? How have the dynamics changed since you caught the Katoi?

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:02 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

They could be hangry... being hungry makes them angry = more aggressive. Try offering more food.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Sometimes adding a new fish will help change the behaviors in the tank. Were you planning to add more fish? If so, what did you have in mind? How have the dynamics changed since you caught the Katoi?
i'll be adding more wrasses once they become available, as well as anthias, and eventually a tang. Pretty much playing the waiting game as i only want specific species.

as for behavior i noticed the lineatus was out swimming fine later that night. Im thinking there is some correlation to how other fish see it in day light vs night light. will be observing all day today
Old 08-28-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
They could be hangry... being hungry makes them angry = more aggressive. Try offering more food.
lol hangry....

k i'll try that. thanks Tim
Old 09-04-2016, 05:52 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

I thought you sold the katoi?

How many wrasse you have now?

There is always a hierarchy between wrasses, but also with any fish of the same genus. Tangs, anthias chromis to name a few.

I say be carefull adding new wrasse as it could take aggression of the current fish but new inmates may not be able to get settled with the harrasment of the current tank mates.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 09-04-2016, 08:13 PM

katoi is gone, and yes i'll be using an acclimation box for longer periods going forward