Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 04-29-2016, 07:56 PM

fishmanty is on a distinguished road
Default Brittle Starfish

So my 2 to 3 month old tank is coming along well. Its a 28gal JBJ cube that did have the HQI but I changed it over to LED. I have got some various corals and a couple small anemones in there. The rocks I bought have a great deal of brittle starfish in them, and its starting to get to the point that they are reaching out of all the holes in the rocks and covering my Zoas, xenia, and even my littlest RBTA (3" diameter at its best).

Im heading to Edmonton this weekend (From Lloydminster, hitting up the city for some things), and want to consider a Harlequin shrimp to annihilate this issue.

My questions are:
1) Does anyone know anywhere that has a Harlequin in stock right now in edmonton?
2) Would annihilating the starfish population reduce my ability to handle waste by enough to be worried about?
3) How easy is it to lure out a couple starfish and cull them?
Old 04-29-2016, 10:36 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

Do you have fish in there?
Might be more of a nutrient problem if there are too many. Excess food = more reproduction.
I found my tank went in waves. Excess pods, then brittle stars, then bristle worms, then astrea or whatever stars by the hundreds now nothing because the wrasses eat everything and the tanks got mostly new rock.

I think if you got a harlequin you would end up feeding it other stars pretty quickly as i hear they eat out food supply quite quickly.