Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 03-17-2016, 03:08 PM

fishmanty is on a distinguished road
Default 28gal JBJ HQI - Heat issues

So, I bought this system used, and have started it up for a few weeks. The temperature always looked to be good to me and in a decent range. Tuesday my controller from Aquatronica arrived and the trending for temperature is showing that me checking the temperature at 5pm every day (Time I get home from work) was fooling me (It read 80F each time). The trend is showing that I peak at 83F by 10pm (Lights go out), and dropping to 76F at 11am (Lights turn back on).

Questions:
1) Where can I get a cheap chiller that doesn't cost $400 (JLaquatics for 90gal capacity)
2) Anyone have any bright cooling ideas that I could use (Downside, increased evaporation)
3) How bad would this temperature fluctuation be on clowns and BTA's? Right now I just have some chromis and damsels in there while I ensure the water parameters are perfect.
4) Why can't someone invent an ATO that drops ice cubes into your tank instead of water?
Old 03-19-2016, 11:19 AM

vancityfella is on a distinguished road

Weird. I have the same tank and mine didn't heat up at all. I've seen the hood elevated with legs. That would let the hot air out but you would have a lot more evaporation. I took my hood off and put on better lights. I,m just adding more water daily.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:21 PM

Tyfighter is on a distinguished road

Yeah I'd agree with trying to get some air circulation in there with some sort of venting or fan rather than going to a chiller