Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 02-10-2016, 06:20 AM

sdeschutter is on a distinguished road
Default Apex vs archon?

So the other day my old original DA controller packed it in. I got it used off a guy last year. My fault though I got it wet...idiot. So I have been doing some reading on controllers. I really like the options that the DA Archon has especially the wireless aspect. , open interface, use on any web based device, etc. I can't really run a wire to my tank. So does the Apex have wireless option. Is there someone out there that has used both controllers? Which controller is better?
Old 02-10-2016, 02:35 PM

Simons is on a distinguished road

I have never used anything but Apex so I can't do any direct comparisons. But Neptune system requires a wireless adapter if you cannot connect directly to the unit. Kind of a pain, but once it's wired, it's wired.

It has all the same functionality of any controller, likely has more. You can buy modules to add onto the controller, that can control lights, pumps, leak detection, dosing, fluid level monitoring etc. It also has a breakout box that allows you to do thinks like, turn lights on and off when you open a cabinet door etc. It monitors all the same baseline stuff, pH, ORP, temp, Salinity, etc.

I have two and will never go without another controller, and I have not seen anything better on the market yet. It is HTML 5.0 so it will work on any browser with that base, apple, PC mobile.

Last edited by Simons; 02-10-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:53 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Connecting the Apex wirelessly is a pain. They suggest using a Netgears WNCE2001 wireless gaming adaptor. Your first hurdle is finding one in store. Online might be easier. Since I bought a new router a few months ago, I have not been able to reconnect. I just pull out the cable when I want to change any programming. I am still surprised Neptune Systems hasn't produced their own WiFi module. Apparently it's not a priority for them. I am seriously considering selling my Apex and going with the cheaper DA.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:28 PM

Have either of you had any problems with your apex? Also how is the customer support and warranty? I have read that DA customer support is weak and also there warranty program.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:29 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Use powerline adapter. You have to connect the master adapter to an outlet near the router and plug in the ethernet from the router. This makes internet available throughout the whole electrical wiring network in your house. To tap out the net from another outlet, you have to plug in the slave adapter and pull out a ethernet cable from the adapter to the controller.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 02-10-2016, 03:54 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeschutter View Post
Have either of you had any problems with your apex? Also how is the customer support and warranty? I have read that DA customer support is weak and also there warranty program.
I've had 2 issues with mine over 7 years. Support was great on both cases, and repairs were reasonable. I fully recommend Apex as the go to controller. Peer support via their forum, tons of info on RC, lots of help locally here, as most people seem to have Apex. I've hardly heard of that other one..
Old 02-10-2016, 04:23 PM

The DA Archin has only been out a year. Here is some info http://www.digitalaquatics.com/archon/system/.

I have to say that the customer support and warranty concerns have me leaning towards the Neptune system.

Once the Neptune is connected to your network can you run things and monitor from a mobile device anywhere in the world?
Old 02-10-2016, 04:40 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased the Apex it is a great unit and once up and running it makes your life so much easier

Pro's
-awesome customer service and will do their best to help you
-Apex has embraced YouTube making it simple to setup
-easy to program your individual plugs
-very easy to wall mount
-the controller can be mounted up to 12 feet from the tank

Con's
-setting up the wireless is a royal pain (helmet meet brick wall)
-network cables included are always 2 feet to short
-instruction book included need to be educated in smart speak

Overall if you can get past the wireless setup this is a great unit to have
Old 02-10-2016, 04:44 PM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

I can't really comment on the DA controller, but I have owned an Apex and a Profilux.

The Apex is actually a bit of a pain to set up wirelessly. I would recommend just placing your router near your aquarium and connecting the apex to it with an ethernet cord. This has given me a reliable connection. I was never able to achieve that with the Profilux.

Apex Fusion has really made some features of the Apex very easily accessable/ you do not even need to read the instructions sometimes.

Neptune support is great. My cat recently decided to knock my display module off the wall, which broke it. Neptune fixed it for $30 and paid for return shipping.

The aspects of the Apex I like most is that they are sold at many LFS's in Canada, firmware updates are easy (don't even get me started on GHL with that aspect...), Neptune is constantly coming out with new gear (auto feeders, WAV, new modules for other brands etc), and so far it has been just as reliable as the Profilux (at half the price). I do wish Neptune would come out with a optical ATO though! On a side note, the DOS doser is awesome.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
do wish Neptune would come out with a optical ATO though!
I forgot to mention that was another reason Inliked the DA Archon. It had a ATO option. Is there anyone that has had the Neptune and the Archon?