Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish > Seahorse

Old 01-31-2016, 06:21 AM

Jack_Maturin is on a distinguished road
Default looking for a good dwarf seahorse source

Can anyone point me in the direction of someone who will ship these to Canada?
Old 01-31-2016, 12:44 PM

reef-keeper is on a distinguished road

Seahorse corral. They are in Florida. That is where I got mine. Very very expensive. Even higher now with the exchange rate.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:24 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

There was an LFS in Ontario that was importing from Seahorse Corral. I'm not sure if he's still doing it - I'll try to figure out who that was. There is a minimum 100 pony order from Seahorse Corral, so it's not really retail-friendly.

You could try contacting Seahorse Canada who raise Erectus, and ask if they know a Canadian source for Dwarfs. Google it, they have a website, but I can't post a link to a non-supporting vendor. Reef Boutique in Toronto has a Facebook page with recent pics of Erectus too.

Maybe rayjay will reply soon, he knows the LFS.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 01-31-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:54 PM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

Ken at Sea U Marine in Markham Ontario started bringing in seahorses from Beth of seahorse corral in Florida after my initial order.
I don't think he will be bringing them in now with the price of the dollar that would make dwarfs probably about $60 each now. The erectus would now be about $100 or more each.
Seahorse Canada started their program with erectus that I brought in years ago.

Last edited by WarDog; 01-31-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
Ken at Sea U Marine in Markham Ontario started bringing in seahorses from Beth of seahorse corral in Florida after my initial order.
I don't think he will be bringing them in now with the price of the dollar that would make dwarfs probably about $60 each now. The erectus would now be about $100 or more each.
Seahorse Canada started their program with erectus that I brought in years ago.
Thanks Ray. I couldn't remember which LFS it was. The dollar situation sucks, but fish prices are higher from all over the world, so maybe he will bring the ponies in anyway.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by WarDog; 01-31-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:08 PM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

I doubt that he will because to make it profitable he has to be able to sell a lot of them and it's already hard here in Ontario to sell at the old prices.
A 100 lot order would not make him any money as his orders typically were in the multiple hundreds.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:25 PM

Jack_Maturin is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick replies. I checked out seahorse corral and they look to have closed up their business recently according to the "about us" section on their facebook page.

I'll keep looking. I may have to do some cold calling to places in Florida, but then you never know what you are going to get. If people are breeding them anywhere in Canada, it should be easy to ship if Reptiles express still has their fish/marine division going. Maybe there is a breeder somewhere in Canada? Not that I can find on google.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:52 PM
Vendor

Bill@IA is on a distinguished road

I don't have any Dwarf Seahorses but I can ship you Captive Bred/Tank Raised Seahorses. Here is the link to order: http://www.incredibleaquarium.com/in...oducts_id=3710

Check us out on Facebook. You don't need Facebook to enjoy our Facebook Page. Just click on the link: https://www.facebook.com/IncredibleAquarium

Old 01-31-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Maturin View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I checked out seahorse corral and they look to have closed up their business recently according to the "about us" section on their facebook page.

I'll keep looking. I may have to do some cold calling to places in Florida, but then you never know what you are going to get. If people are breeding them anywhere in Canada, it should be easy to ship if Reptiles express still has their fish/marine division going. Maybe there is a breeder somewhere in Canada? Not that I can find on google.
That's too bad about Seahorse Corral.

You won't get anyone to ship them to you from the US. Seahorses are CITES protected (like hard corals, clams, and live rock), so they take a lot more time and effort for the shipper to ship across the border than typical fish. This is the same reason why you can never find a US vendor that will ship corals to you across the border.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:45 PM

reef-keeper is on a distinguished road

My order took 6 months to get everything in order.