Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-25-2016, 07:14 PM

incept is on a distinguished road
Default Ideas for getting GSP off rock??

As the title states, I have some beautiful, very bright and healthy GSP. Problem is it is growing to well as normal and starting to crowd and choke other tank inhabitants out. Namely a Chalice which I am quite fond of. There is also another SPS that I am getting worried about if I can't scale it back. I've tried to peel, pick, tear, pull, pry and harass the GSP off however short of pulling the rocks out which have been drilled and pinned in a big formation and taking a blow torch to it I am not sure what else I can do.. Looking for ideas please... Im a pretty new person to the saltwater arena, this tank has been up for just over 2 years now and has finally started to go good. It is on a very coarse rock, Not Fiji, or Tonga or Marco rock. Not really sure what type it is... Anyhow, I am very open to suggestions please and thank you...
Old 01-25-2016, 07:29 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

When I had the stuff growing out of control, I was generally able to pry it off using a screwdriver or other similar implement and once it started it would more or less come off in manageable sized chunks.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:35 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

You could epoxy or glue over it. Or find another coral that's easier to manage that will sting the GSP. My RBTA had no issue killing gsp
Old 01-25-2016, 11:11 PM
Nano Bubble Lover

soapy is on a distinguished road

One of these ought to do the trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWP9thPs_mM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqyBr8KZwqo
Old 01-26-2016, 12:02 AM
Nano Bubble Lover

soapy is on a distinguished road

Kalk paste might work, (google techniques, dangers, etc). Or else you may just have to grind at it a little every day until it finally gives up. Mucking gloves from Lee Valley will make it a little less tiresome reaching into the tank.

Last edited by soapy; 01-26-2016 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:51 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Don't think there's really a quick/easy solution that won't potentially harm other stuff. Manual removal as you've been doing is probably the best way. It's what I do. Tweezers, picks, narrow/sharp implements make the job a bit less tedious. Get a little lip started by prying with a sharp/flat implement & then the tweezers or forceps.

It's a bit like weeding a garden, very therapeutic for some folks, not so much for others. Character builder for salt water hobbyist & often a factor causing some to throw in the towel! Hair algae anyone?
Old 01-27-2016, 01:38 AM

Thanks for the responses so far everyone. Keep em coming. As for the Youtube links, with the growth of this stuff Im thinking that I'll need the biggest one they make...
Old 01-27-2016, 04:11 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

I've intentionally let my GSP grow for two simple reasons it kills the purple star polyps and it looks cool

However if I need to remove it I just use a broad flat screw driver and scrape where I don't want it and it works well but it does take some muscle power and occasional swear word
Old 01-27-2016, 09:29 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

Yea best bet is to scrape it off
Old 01-27-2016, 10:35 PM

May have to try the epoxy suggestion. I've tried scraping but due to the nature of this rock is is about impossible to get off I'm finding. The other rocks, no big issues but ths pile, wow, they are cemented on there good. I'm going to keep at it though. May have to just pull the rock out and work on it while its on a table... Try that way..