Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2015, 04:12 PM

hfp75 is on a distinguished road
Default Mini Cycle

Well, I'll tell my story...

Two weeks ago I switched from biopellets to biocubes. Biocubes have been working miracles in my frag tank so I figured it was time to get them switched into the larger system.

Recently, I've noticed some dark red flat worms in my sump (on the display tank). I went out and got Flat Worm Exit. I added it into my display tank & it worked as described, dead worms floating all over. Did a large water change and ran activated carbon. No issues.

Then a few weeks later I noticed a few more worms. So I dumped in a whole vial of FWE (want them dead). Everything looked good. Couple corals looked offended but nothing serious. Technically the FWE isn't bad for the tank it's the dying worms.

For good measure I put a bit of FWE in my frag system - no issues at all.

Well, a few days later (after a work marathon) I noticed that the corals are all withdrawn & my two Darwin clowns are missing. My curiosity peaked and I hunted them down - DOA. Problem!!!

I quickly tested some water and found ammonia at .25-.5 (API colours are so close). I moved the withdrawn corals into the frag system & really couldn't get much more into the smaller tank.

I have done some large water changes hoping to controle the ammonia exposure & am running activated carbon again. It's kinda working. After 3 days of water changes Ive noticed that the NO2 is showing up, the fish are more active & some corals are more lively.

I hope that by the time I'm home tonight my ammonia is gone and it's just NO2. It's basically over. Maybe the long exposure to FWE and ammonia has killed off the worms. Otherwise I need to do this again....

I have lost a few things - pair of darwin clowns, two cleaner shrimp & a nice long spaghetti torch. My hammer and elephant ear mushroom might not make it either... I've been dipping corals and cutting them up to try and save a few frags to restart from.... We'll see.

I don't know for sure..... Was it a perfect storm? Changing out my biomedia & then killing stuff with the toxic worm carcasses/FWE? So just not enough bio-capacity to handle the curve ball... Maybe had I run carbon earlier....

Remind me why I did this to my tank?

I am sure others have been here & where did I get flat worms from......

FYI..... I'm on the hunt for some nice clowns and cleaner shrimp... Anyone?