Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-18-2004, 11:21 PM

Jim Barry is on a distinguished road
Default lighting for new tank

I am building an inwall tank early in the new year and I am trying to determine the proper amount of lighting. It will have mainly SPS and the lights will be about 8" from the tank surface. The tank will be covered with a removable top made of Starfire glass (or acrylic).

The tank will be 5'x 24" height x 30" front to back.

I am currently running 2 - 250w, 10000k metal halides and 2 - 40w actinics on a 4' 120 gallon tank and I am concerned I won't have enough lighting for a 5' tank.

I am considering supplementing what I have now by adding one 400w, 10000k in between the 2- 250's. It will also be in an enclosed canopy with 2 - 4" fans. I am concerned about the heat in the canopy and I may add a chiller to control the water temp, but I am concerned about the heat buildup in a totally enclosed canopy venting with only 2 small fans.

Will the lighting setup of 2-250's and one 400w give me uneven lighting or can I get away with using 2 - 250's on a 5' tank?

Your thoughts on the lighting and heat issues would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 10-19-2004, 12:47 AM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

Hey Jim ... Generally speaking MH should be spaced every 2 feet ... so in your case the extra 400W MH is probably a good idea ... at 24" deep though I dont think you " have " to go with 400W and if you have another 250W you would be just fine.

You might also boost the flourescent to VHO but that is up to you

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 10-19-2004, 07:02 AM

hockey nut is on a distinguished road

I'm currently setting up a 4' 120 with 2-250wt MH. The only difference for my lighting will be the 4x48" 110wt VHO. If for some reason I don't like the colour I can play around with the vho's. i.e. 2 atinics and 2 50/50 etc. I'm not sure if adding a 400 wt is neccessary like Buck-A-Neer said. Adding another 250wt would keep your light spectrum and overall look even throughout the tank. 250wt HQI's might be the way to go as apparently they are somewhat more intense than the SE bulbs if you wanted to upgrade and boost your lighting . Or you could add vho lighting to what you already have wich may fill in the gap nicely as well. HTH

Cheers
Old 10-19-2004, 03:36 PM

Jim Barry is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your input.

I may go with 2 vho - 110w to supplement the lighting and fill in the gaps.

This would mean I would have 2 - 250w 10000k + 2 -110w vho actinics + 2 - 40w actinics for morning and evening overtop of the 5' tank

This will also keep the temp in the canopy cooler as well.

Jim
Old 10-19-2004, 03:52 PM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

I recommend 2 x 400W Radiums to start. Especially if you're staying with 2 MH.

Old 10-19-2004, 11:14 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

forget buying new lights, depending how you mount them a 250 watt single ended bulb can light up to 3x3. also you have to decide how you are going to arrange the rock. if you are going to have 6" of sand bed at each end then you really are only worried about lighting a 4 foot area unless you plan on growing SPS on the sand. if you have two mounds with a space in the middle then you can space them a little closer to the end. if after you are set up and you find that there is room for another light then buy another 250 watt and put it in the middle. as for throwing a 400 on I fell a 400 is a waist of power on a tank that is under 30" tall my self.

I do recommend going with VHO actinic.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.