Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-31-2015, 09:07 PM

5gluder is on a distinguished road
Default 5gluder's 55g peninsula tank

Hello,
I don’t normally post on here but frequent the forums a lot for information which I can generally find. Earlier this year I set out to build a 55 gallon peninsula tank. I previously I had a 33 gallon tank for 10 years, unfortunately a faulty heater cooked the tank. After a year I came up with a plan and decided to tackled it as my winter project….which continued into spring lol.
I choose to post this as a lot of my ideas came from tank journals so I figure others may benefit from viewing mine.

Day 1 decided this is the best spot to place the tank, the room is a bonus room above the garage.

Cut off the top tier to have a flat deck to work with, opened us under to check and see how I can run the plumbing from the basement.

I later decided that a 33 gallon was too small so I decided to widen the base…I also decided that the beige carpet was not complementing the tank enough so I ripped it out and installed hardwood everywhere

Following the electrical code I wasn’t going to splice into the existing wires(would have exceeded the number of allowable lights/ receptacles per circuit) to add receptacles for the tank. So I decided to run 2 dedicated wires from the panel

I received my new tank, 3 sides with starfire glass. I built a stand in the basement identical to the one upstairs. I wanted to do leak tests and figure out the bulkhead/drains in the basement before moving upstairs.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:21 AM

MCC is on a distinguished road

this going be an awesome build!

what are you going use for lighting?
Old 08-01-2015, 01:57 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Awesome planning 😃
Old 08-01-2015, 02:23 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Looks cool. I always love the first few steps of a build! As I was looking at the first picture I thought for sure you were going with a drop off tank. Second picture... not so much! Following!
Old 08-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

So are you doing a basement sump? Or is it going underneath the stand?

Killer location for a tank!

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 08-01-2015, 11:55 PM

riceboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to riceboy

From the looks of it it looks like the sump will be under the tank. By the way I love ur name I'll always have a sweet spot for preludes. 4th Gen srv are my favorite.
-concept built 3'x2'x22" full starfire tank with starfire 1 piece eurobrace and built in wave box, 1 jebao wp25, 4 mp10wes, ati led Hybrid 8 bulb fixture, csc 250 skimmer, Magdrive 18 return pump, apex lite, custom sump from concepts, biopellet reactor and carbon and gfo,bubble magnus doser and jbj ato, custom acrylic frag tank with 6 bulb t5
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70851
Old 08-04-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
So are you doing a basement sump? Or is it going underneath the stand?

Killer location for a tank!
I have the sump under tank, but i built a stand in the basement to hold the RODI and mixing tank. I have a utility pump that pumps the water up to the sump, no buckets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC View Post
this going be an awesome build!

what are you going use for lighting?
I decided to go with the Evergrow IT2080, reviews seem good so i thought i would give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy View Post
From the looks of it it looks like the sump will be under the tank. By the way I love ur name I'll always have a sweet spot for preludes. 4th Gen srv are my favorite.
lol yup i had my 5th gen for almost 13 years, love that thing and still miss it. If it didn't start rusting i would still have it.

Funny I almost bought a 96 srv. But i just loved the body style of the 5th gen.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:19 PM

I had some left over ditra from a shower reno that I decided to use. I figure this would help keep moisture in without damaging the drywall on the outside of the base.

I also ran a drain line to the basement, the drain line is split here, top one will be attached to the tank and the bottom is a just in case water leaks from the bulkheads or reservoir tank. Also added 2 fans to keep air moving.

Doing some patching just so it looks clean
I also ran 2 separate water lines that would pump rodi and mixed saltwater.

Attached the 14/2 wire and ran a network cable for the Apex. I decided to cover the base with a waterproof fabic, a lot of this is overkill but I couldn’t risk having water in the bonus room. Basically if water overflows from the sump, under the DT bulkheads or the RODI reservoir it will flow into the bottom drain without damaging the floor.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:43 PM

riceboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to riceboy

hmmm base on what i see everything looks great except for the copper valves.
-concept built 3'x2'x22" full starfire tank with starfire 1 piece eurobrace and built in wave box, 1 jebao wp25, 4 mp10wes, ati led Hybrid 8 bulb fixture, csc 250 skimmer, Magdrive 18 return pump, apex lite, custom sump from concepts, biopellet reactor and carbon and gfo,bubble magnus doser and jbj ato, custom acrylic frag tank with 6 bulb t5
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70851
Old 08-04-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy View Post
hmmm base on what i see everything looks great except for the copper valves.
Your right, my problem is i needed a 3/4" pvc wall outlet. I could only find it in copper, which i then just ended up buying the brass gate valves with it.

I have an order for a plastic gate valve just waiting for it to arrive.