Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 06-13-2015, 10:02 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough
Angry Stupid fan wiring...

So I bought this super cool computer fan that's clear with blue LEDs thinking it will look sweet in my stand and would be easy to find an AC adapter power supply to plug into a wall outlet. Well, I was wrong (first time ever ), or at least I think I was wrong because I can't figure this thing out. I figure a 3-pin atx to a powersupply is easy...ohhh nooooo.

Wth do I have to do to make this work? Can I go 3-pin atx to usb to ac adapter power supply? I need 12V 1400 mA.

SPS fanatic.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:35 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Here ya go, thank me later.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/vantec-2-...36790-1013.htm

This is assuming your fan came with a 3 to 4 pin molex connector.

The second picture shows the power supply with a 4 pin molex. This is what I used for my fan in the stand. The LED's on the fan went kaput about 2 months after install, lol.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:23 AM

babnika is on a distinguished road
Default or this

http://www.coolerguys.com/extps.html
Old 06-14-2015, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
This is assuming your fan came with a 3 to 4 pin molex connector.

The second picture shows the power supply with a 4 pin molex. This is what I used for my fan in the stand. The LED's on the fan went kaput about 2 months after install, lol.
Yeah, the LEDs aren't waterproof, so I'm thinking they might not last long. I was also thinking that I could probably put a dab of silicone on them to help longevity.

My fan came with a 3-pin apx to 4-pin Molex connector, but if I use the 4-pin only 2 of the wires go into it and then there is another 3-pin separate with the third wire in it. Does that make sense or do you need a pic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babnika View Post
I did see the Cooler Guys apx power supply, but it's like $60! I don't think any of the ones in the linked page will work though.

SPS fanatic.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:58 AM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

If you want to run your fan simply a plug and play switch or a timer on/off why not get a cheap converter and have it wired directly to your - and + ends of the fan,..voila.
I have mine similar on a timer running of a AC/DC converter for the last 2 years with no issues.
You need something like the link below.
Ebay AC/DC converter
Old 06-14-2015, 02:59 AM
Vendor

I soldered mine directly as long as you can figure out witch end is your - and + as the 3rd wire from the fan is really not needed
Old 06-14-2015, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli@fijireefrock.com View Post
why not get a cheap converter and have it wired directly to your - and + ends of the fan,..voila.
Ya, but I don't know what to do with the third wire. I was just hoping I could find something plug and play.

Quote:
I soldered mine directly as long as you can figure out witch end is your - and + as the 3rd wire from the fan is really not needed
Isn't the third wire the LEDs? Or is the third wire for speed control?

SPS fanatic.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:07 AM
Vendor

3rd wire is speed control..in my case I simply cut it out as not using it at all.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:08 AM

Quote:
3rd wire is speed control..in my case I simply cut it out as not using it at all.
Ok, I'll pick up a 12V 1400 mA ac adapter and wire it in. Hopefully the LEDs light up. It's not plug and play, but it's easier than I thought it would be.

SPS fanatic.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:39 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Photo would certainly help sort things out. What colours are the 3 wires on the fan? There is a standard colour coding for DC circuits, but you never know these days. It's 12VDC so to run the fan you really only need 2 wires, + & -. The 3rd wire is, as already mentioned, either speed control (requiring additional external circuitry) or for the LEDs.

If you have a 9 volt battery kicking around, it should be easy to find out which are your +- leads. You'll need to cut off the molex connector & strip the wires, or remove the pins. With a jewellers screwdriver, you can generally push the pin out of a molex connector. They have a metal tab that locks the pin in place. Touch the wires to the 9V battery terminals & see in which configuration the fan spins up. Might even light up the LED lights. The fan should run with 9 volts, or at least try to once you get the polarity right. It may even run in either direction if it's reversible. To replace the molex & have a simple interface rather than soldering etc, an adapter as shown in the link below will come in handy in the future. Allows you to adapt your fan wiring to most any wall wart with the standard DC pin connector. Your local electronic supplier may have some of these in stock.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DC12V-Power-P...item259ceb4652

I have a bunch of them to adapt my DIY LED strips.

With respect to the LEDs being waterproof, I doubt your fan itself is waterproof either, being designed for a computer (dry environment). The solder connections will all be relatively exposed unless the fan is rated as being water proof or water resistant. Best to keep it all away from a humid environment. Not a big deal with regard to personal safety with 12VDC, but over the long term, exposed to moisture or excess humidity, the various solder connections will corrode. Having said that, I've used standard 12 volt fans in DIY lights over my tank for years without issue.

Last edited by mike31154; 06-14-2015 at 05:43 PM.