Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 05-13-2015, 12:14 PM

mark is on a distinguished road
Default Jebao RW20 lifespan

I'm thinking after 9 years, Dart on the CL is starting to sound a little louder so to replace loop with a pair of RW20 with a twin controller. Now see the WP40 lifespan thread with less than stellar numbers, wonder if the RW20 last any better?
Old 05-13-2015, 01:00 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

They're too new to really know, but I suspect similar numbers will surface in time. I expect my RW pumps to last at least a year, maybe 2. Then I'll replace them. For the cost, replacing every two years isn't terrible.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:56 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

When did we become ok with replacing something every 2 years? I want, and expect at least 10 years of usage. This is one reason I wouldn't buy Jebao. Why not replace the Dart?
Old 05-13-2015, 02:13 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
When did we become ok with replacing something every 2 years?
About 2 years ago Replacement cost on Tunze, ~800. Replacement for comparable Jebao, 180ish. I don't have 800 to drop on pumps, but I have 200 every couple years.
I also own some newer Tunze pumps, and I have to say, the quality is not what it was when they first came out in 2005. I've had to replace one full pump, and most parts on the second. At a lot more money than Jebao.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:30 PM

corpusse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
When did we become ok with replacing something every 2 years? I want, and expect at least 10 years of usage. This is one reason I wouldn't buy Jebao. Why not replace the Dart?
When the price became so cheap. I don't think I have any equipment from 10 years ago. My Tunze 6060 just died recently and that was about 10 years old. All my gen 1 vortechs are long dead. Even the old maxijet 1200s which can take a pounding and a half and run dry forever didn't last 10 years.

If you can buy 3 jeabo pumps for less then 1 vortech and the vortech lasts 5 years and the jeabos last 2 they are a better deal. Really there is not much in this world that is electronic that lasts 10 years, let alone things that function in salt water.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:23 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

All valid points, if we were strictly speaking about wave makers. A Dart retails for about $325 USD on BRS. That works out to $80 every 2 years. So say $100 CDN. Pay shipping once in 9 years as opposed to shipping every 2 years, even if it's cheap. Add to that Jebao's stellar track record being hit or miss and my choice is clear. To each their own, but I know I would be replacing the Dart.

Sorry to have de-railed the thread, I'm in a bit of a mood as I didn't have any cookies show up at my door.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:35 AM

Though got a little burnt on the LEDs, moving to powerheads is more just wanting to try something new. Dart still working and probably only hearing it more as trying to convince myself to kick over some money.

I'm agreeing with wardog and don't believe a year or two should be considered normal.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:19 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
I'm agreeing with wardog and don't believe a year or two should be considered normal.
It's all relative. You can't spend 25% of what a Tunze costs and expect it to last more than 25% as long.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:42 PM

wondering how long a MP40wQD would last?

4x the price of a RW20
Old 05-15-2015, 02:47 AM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road

Been running two rw 20s for 6 months now with no issues so far. Another six months from now??? Not sure but they sure are quiet and move a pile of water. If my glass wasnt so thick I would have gone with the rw 15s. And at as cheap as they are I bought four so I have two spares... still half price of two mp40s.
300 Gal 6x3x28 high Starphire peninsula w/external herbie/bean animal hybrid +150 Gal custom sump with 30gal fuge section, (both built by Concept Aquariums Calgary), 3x Ecotech Radion xr30w g2's(soon to be G3 Pros), Jebao DCT 12000 return pump, 2x Jebao RW 20 powerheads, Tunze Ato, Vertex ro/di, Reef Octopus Ext 200 skimmer run internally.