Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater

Old 05-01-2015, 05:27 AM

Mew is on a distinguished road
Default Using Live Rock With Cichlids, Servums and Bottom Feeders?

I've got a 46 gallon aquarium with some cichlids, a red shouldered servum and quite a few different bottom feeders, like two bumblebee catfish, two upside down catfish, and one pleco.

The aquarium already has a piece of lava live rock in it, alongside a piece of driftwood.

Since the fish have grown and done well with the above, I'm curious about opinions or advice regarding moving them over to a 90 Gallon tank that would include more live rock.

I've seen that there are people who are keeping cichlids and other fresh waters in tanks with live rock, however I'm not hearing how well the fish do in the long run.

Right now I have quite a few different live rock types, including more lava rock, some Fiji and tufa.

I am planning on running a Fluval FX6 for this tank, but I'm also left wondering if I do this how much live rock should I run with, and secondly, what kind of media should I be using then if I'm also using live rock?

I'd be curious to see or hear if anyone else is doing this and how they're working it.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:20 AM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

If the rock isn't full of dead matter then it shouldn't spike your ammonia when you add it. Sharp rocks like lavarock and porous live rock can damage your fish if they rub against it so monitor your fish and address the problem if you see that happening.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:47 AM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

boop, wrong thread
Old 11-08-2015, 10:24 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

The dead rock might leach nutrients like phosphates into your fw system. Add to a bucket, let sit for a few days and test the water. If no problems, then you should be alright.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:08 PM

Fin2you is on a distinguished road

Seachem's Matrix biofilter is just natural rock filtration. water movement thru natural stone & plant it with a good layer of volcanic aquatic soil & capped off with some gravel..... Like mentioned soak it to make sure there isn't bad stuff in it....
Old 10-29-2016, 08:45 PM

rasberry is on a distinguished road

Hi I have african cichlid tank with all dry rock it helps keep my ph up. You would have to check ph your fish are happy in, africans like ph 8 and up. I think severums like a lower ph then that. So just be aware it may raise your ph.