Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 04-16-2015, 05:21 PM

KTV is on a distinguished road
Default Getting back into the hobby - looking to the community for some help

I've been out of the hobby for almost 10 years. School, a career, house, and a wife 10 years later and finally jumping back in to scratch the itch. I remember all the nice folks I met back in the day and see some are still active.

Picked up a RSM 130d with some decent upgrades from a very nice reefer in Airdrie. Certainly a step up from the 30g patched together setup I had in 2005. These AIOs have come such a long way.

Right now on the shopping list is a RBTA and baby clown pair(the wife insists that she wants juvies and was a condition for getting tank). I remember there were a few members here who had success with breeding and rearing clowns. Does anyone have contacts or themselves have juvenile clowns for sell? Anyone with an BTA clone they want to get rid off? Are there still frag meets? Are people still zooanthid crazy?

It's like being a kid all over again...
Old 04-16-2015, 07:03 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Welcome back!!! I don't remember you, but I see you only have 30 posts.

Lots has change din 10 years - you're right about the AIO tanks!

There are a few local Clownfish breeders to you. I also breed Clowns, but I'm getting out of it. I don't have much left. I will have some baby Onyx ready in a couple months - probably be good timing for you. I would suggest Percula Clownfish (Onyx are a type of Percula) over the typical Ocellaris if you want an anemone to host them. Ocellaris aren't normally hosted by RBTA in the wild, so they are reluctant to go into them, but also Ocellaris just aren't as likely to recognise an anemone.

Denny (reefwars) wasn't around 10 years ago, but he's about as Zoanthid crazy as it gets, and he's in Calgary at Concept Aquariums.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:28 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

welcome back.

RSM's are definitely a treat.

Should make a great clown habitat.

I don;t know if you've upgraded the lighting.

I'm actually not sure if the stock 110 watts of PC power would be suitable for a bta....could very well be.

Last edited by gobytron; 04-17-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:11 AM

Sackler is on a distinguished road

I know somebody named Manny who has sold some clowns. He is on Calgary and area reef tank enthusiasts page on facebook.
Otherwise there are certainly a few places around to grab some. Pisces and Ocean creations are the ones that come to mind. Calgary is actually a pretty decent spot right now for reefkeeping IMO. Denny has a really good selection of zoas if you are interested in zoas. (You'll see his ad on kijiji)
Good luck.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:25 AM

KTV is on a distinguished road

Met with Manny the other night - super nice fella. My wife is giddy with the baby clowns he has, we're just waiting till the tank is cycled before bringing the babies home. Should be a quick cycle since all the rock and sand are 6 months old. Going through the diatom bloom right now so heading to Golds tomorrow to pick up a small cleanup crew. We should be ready to go by sometime next week to introduce fish. Fingers crossed the water tests come out positive.