Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-17-2015, 06:56 AM

hondas3000 is on a distinguished road
Default My first 180G Reef tank 5'x2'x2.5'

Hi everyone, just want blend in with the forum so I would like to introduce my first salt water setup ever. I use to keep fresh water and I push myself to the max with 1200 gallon plywood tank before I gave up the hobby due to my favorite fish die. Now I am back with fish keeping but want something different so I go with the reef. This 180G is my hospital tank for my fresh water and lucky I still keep it so mind as well use it. Also thanks to Anthony (aka Seahorse fatastic ) for helping me out and answer to all my question regarding the salt water setup and boy it sure is expensive .

So here go, 180g acrylic with a build in cabinetry from the front entrance.

Inside stand I paint it white and have a layer of epoxy on it so in case water leak wont damage the stand as it is a build in unit and I have a 2x4 all across the bottom where sump fit so no water will leak out of the stand.

skimmer is Euro reef which come with the other setup that I bought but no motor so I go through and custom it like deltec skimmer with 2 pumps.

that's it for now more pics will follow.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:59 AM

This is my fresh water stock before I sell off and tear it down and turn it into a living space.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:26 AM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Nice freshwater tank! Man, that would've been awesome to see. I am glad you are back and welcome to the wonderful world of saltwater keeping. It will be even more expensive than you ever would have thought...not to deter you or anything.. our hobby sure is expensive but it's definitely worth the time, money, and effort. It's extremely rewarding to keep a piece of the ocean in my living space. I truly feel privileged. Soon you will too, I'll stay tuned to see the progress. Good luck and don't hestitate to ask any questions.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 03-17-2015, 08:00 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Keep the pics coming David
We all want to see your progress

Don't be shy to ask for help, we're all here to lend a hand.
And there are more of us close to you than you know
Old 03-17-2015, 12:40 PM

Piscez is on a distinguished road

Welcome, and good luck with your build! Well the first thing you did right was getting Anthony he is a source of valued knowledge without breaking the bank on methods and ways of making this hobby happen. As you will see the are many diverse systems and methods which is all part of the fun. Bonus is you didn't live too far from J&L!!! Many trips there in your future....
Old 03-18-2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
Nice freshwater tank! Man, that would've been awesome to see. I am glad you are back and welcome to the wonderful world of saltwater keeping. It will be even more expensive than you ever would have thought...not to deter you or anything.. our hobby sure is expensive but it's definitely worth the time, money, and effort. It's extremely rewarding to keep a piece of the ocean in my living space. I truly feel privileged. Soon you will too, I'll stay tuned to see the progress. Good luck and don't hestitate to ask any questions.
that fresh water tank save me a lot of money because I don't have to take my kid to vancouver aquarium . I haven't tell my wife how much I already spend on this yet as I don't want to freak her out and put a stop working paper on the tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Keep the pics coming David
We all want to see your progress

Don't be shy to ask for help, we're all here to lend a hand.
And there are more of us close to you than you know
thanks Greg, its been 3 months and that is what I get so far. Life just get too busy. I will have more good stuff coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscez View Post
Welcome, and good luck with your build! Well the first thing you did right was getting Anthony he is a source of valued knowledge without breaking the bank on methods and ways of making this hobby happen. As you will see the are many diverse systems and methods which is all part of the fun. Bonus is you didn't live too far from J&L!!! Many trips there in your future....
You sure right about Anthony as he help me every step. J&L sure get a lot of money from me already and more will come as they are too close.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:27 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Your large plywood tank, I vaguely remember looking at a massive free plywood tank with a friend that was picking it up awhile back in bby. This goes back 2 years ago but the thing was a beast.... Looking at your pics of where the drain on the bottom is I am sure it was the same tank lol.

Good luck on the new reef build, and nice skimmer mod!

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 03-19-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
Your large plywood tank, I vaguely remember looking at a massive free plywood tank with a friend that was picking it up awhile back in bby. This goes back 2 years ago but the thing was a beast.... Looking at your pics of where the drain on the bottom is I am sure it was the same tank lol.

Good luck on the new reef build, and nice skimmer mod!
Yeb that is the tank. Were you there to pick up? I love building stuff just don't like to break them apart so it easy for free.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:06 PM

Here is my temporary tank that I bought while I finish my build. As you can see I already over stocking it as there is so many good stuff out there.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:56 AM

I have a question see anyone can help me out. As I am running 120G right now with live rock, coral and fish. So my question is can I use new water for the new tank and I just do a quick dip on all live rock and coral and put in the 180G with new water? The new water will get temp and parameter match closely as the old one and will it be ok with the coral? just a cheap beginner coral.

So what I want to do is having the new setup all clean with no disease what so ever and everything going into the new setup will be quarantine as I will be using the 120G quarantine the fish once the coral and live rock is out, just not sure what else I can do to clean the live rock and coral.