Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-05-2015, 06:34 AM

reefwithareefer is on a distinguished road
Default The why, oh why, 38 stair, 290 gal build revised

So I messed up the beginning of my first attempt at a tank thread, so I am starting it over...

My original post was.....

Why did I do this to myself..Ugh I could not just leave well enough alone. I saw Dusty16s 290 gal for sale on here and the twofootitis disease hit me...For those wondering what twofootitis is, it is a term boaters use when seeing/wanting a larger boat, as boat 2 ft longer makes a huge difference to the size inside etc. I actually, for good reasons, talked myself out of buying this tank twice, before succumbing to the the price and twofootitis.

So three of us hauled into the back of the truck yesterday. That was the easy work...

Hmmm, how the hell am I going to get this up to the house, was the burning question that I had been asking myself since seeing it for sale on Canreef....Not only that, but who would even consider helping me...Friends and family would picture the front of my house and think to themselves, "Not a chance in hell", but politely tell me they had prior commitments or else they would certainly be there for me! Uh-huh...sure...

Yep, that is the front of my house...38 stairs, and 3 landings from the street to my front door...Now you know why I talked myself out of this twice!

Now you know why the title states "why oh why"!!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:44 AM

and this is the tank to haul up those stairs...

This is her. a 290 gallon, starphire glass, and Eurobraced. Dusty16 had it made by concept, but the brace got broke and was sent another one. So he put this one up for sale.

This tank is sweet.

I am going to use the Bean animal drain system.

Last edited by reefwithareefer; 03-05-2015 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:56 AM

I have a 180 gal Oceanic bowfront mixed reef tank set up already.
I have only been in this hobby for about a year now. The girlfriend wanted a saltwater tank and I was...Hmmm, lets say..gullible. My endeavor to find a tank had begun.
Little did I know that after reading for two months to learn what I could, I would still know nothing...
Anyways. I originally bought three running saltwater tanks from three different folks. I took what I wanted from each setup and built one with the best of the equipment etc and came up with this

I think the tank was about 1.5 months old when I took this pic.

Of course i had to tear down the wall first. There used to be a wall that went straight up to the ceiling, where the tank sits now. Ripped out everything and lowered the wall and widened it for an aquarium to sit on.

Last edited by reefwithareefer; 03-05-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:58 AM

and this is what I did in the sump room which is below the tank in the basement.

The pic only shows the sump tank, there is a 75 gal refugium beside it as well.

You can probably see that I failed neatness class 101. a neat freak I am not.

I did all the plumbing and electrical myself and Paul from Oceanic came and drilled the tanks for me. Thanks Paul.

I explained to Paul what my plans were for the tanks and how I was going to set everything up in the sump room. Paul had some suggestions for me and of course I was arrogant enough to think I knew everything there was to know and pretty much just said "uh Huh" and ignored him...After all, I just spent 2 months reading hundreds and hundreds of articles...

Needless to say, I ended up ripping down the whole sump room setup a week later. I guess Pauls suggestions were not so bad after all..lol The sump tank was originally up against the wall where the dosers are and the refugium was where the sump was. Ripped it all down and moved it over the weekend.

First lesson learned? Take heed to an experienced reefer advice...

Last edited by reefwithareefer; 03-05-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:16 AM

Mr ReeferFulton had this comment for me....

ohh sounds fun.
Call me if ya need a hand with moving this one..

oh Sorry I live on Vancouver island..Its the thought that counts right ? lol

going to do a full build thread ?
Old 03-05-2015, 07:18 AM

and my reply was.....

lol, Yes, just what I imagined my friends and family would say when I begged for help Mr reeferfulton .
But that is why I lend my son and his friends money. I never expect the money repaid in cash, but they know they will have to pay and pay dearly they will this time (says with a sinister tone). Oh son.... remember when I lent you and your buddy a few hundred to pay rent?
Huh? When was that Dad? he replies.
Oh about 6 months ago... Time to pay up son..I have a simple way for you guys to repay me. hehe

So the three of us get to Dustys house in Surrey and haul it into the back of the truck and up the stairs. Not so bad, but an all day job it was...Finished in time to see the Seahawks kick the Panthers butts...
Old 03-05-2015, 07:23 AM

Have you heard the old saying "big and dumb"? Well the three of us probably thought that as we carried the tank up by hand. No winch, no sled. Just brawn and a great fear of dying... It was rather enlightening....lol

Here it is in the front entrance..

I swear the brace was broken before I got it...
Old 03-05-2015, 07:25 AM

It took me about 20 mins to cut out the silicone and remove the broken brace and replace it.
Tank all fixed up and ready

Old 03-05-2015, 07:29 AM

Now to get my 180 DT taken apart and sold with the stand. Which I do have advertised on here.
Now of course, if you listen to my wife, I do not do anything in life the easy way.
I never thought I would be dumb enough to want a bigger tank! I learned my lessen with boats...or so I thought. Anyways, since I thought nothing of the future when building my first ever saltwater tank last year, I used the the stand for my 180 bowfront DT, to set the 90 gal refugium on.
Of course it was a wise idea to use up the extra space on the stand to set half the 75 gallon sump on as well. I would never think that one day, I may need that stand back..UGH!! So now I have to break down these tanks to get stand....

Pay attentions kids, you may learn alot of what not to do from me...
Old 03-05-2015, 07:37 AM

Sooo, anyone want to help lift this sucker into place?
I think the tank only weighs about 85 lbs , but it has to be raised about 5 ft to get it up there...

I have to lift it into place from there as the 290 is too big to get it around the to the front of wall, where it is only 3 feet off the ground instead of 5.5 feet.

Always easy...

just in case any one ever moves a tank. I suggest renting a few sets of glaziers suction cup lifters. You can rent them for cheap at most rental stores and make lifting big tanks easier...

http://www.seratechware.com/Catalogu...AT=A09-B&LNG=1