Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 02-18-2015, 10:41 PM

George is on a distinguished road
Default Hybrid dwarf angelfish doing the mating dance

I have a tigerpyge (Centropyge eibli x C. flavissimus) and a blue spot (C. flavissimus x C. vrolki) being together for over 2 months now. Just a few days ago I noticed them doing the mating dance. It's a huge surprise to me. I thought these hybrids are sterilized.
Enjoy the show. The first few seconds are some still pictures of the parties involved.

http://youtu.be/N6kccmDl8J4

BTW when will canreef support embedded video?
Old 02-19-2015, 12:00 AM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy

Very cool; love your angels! What are the round yellow-ish fish with vertical stripes and blue-ish spots on their eyes? I see two of them in the video. They almost look like some sort of butterfly...
Old 02-19-2015, 12:25 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

It does look like they are working on a spawning rise, but not quite going for it. Cool! I'm not sure if they are sterile or not, but that wouldn't stop them from trying. Same like mules (horse/donky hybrid) are sterile, but they will still try! Actually, as far as I know, not all mules are sterile, but most are.

I'd love to see more pics/video of your tank! I'm going to go search and see it you have a Tank Journal.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:32 AM

George is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrazorguy View Post
Very cool; love your angels! What are the round yellow-ish fish with vertical stripes and blue-ish spots on their eyes? I see two of them in the video. They almost look like some sort of butterfly...
yes those are golden butterflies. They also have some interesting interaction lately. Not sure they are fighting or....Need to keep an eye on them. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
It does look like they are working on a spawning rise, but not quite going for it. Cool! I'm not sure if they are sterile or not, but that wouldn't stop them from trying. Same like mules (horse/donky hybrid) are sterile, but they will still try! Actually, as far as I know, not all mules are sterile, but most are.

I'd love to see more pics/video of your tank! I'm going to go search and see it you have a Tank Journal.
yeah...they are a new couple so I will give them some more time. The way I see it they are practicing their dance moves LOL.