Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 02-15-2015, 04:53 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough
Default Another noob thread with questions about skimmer

I've never used a skimmer before, so this piece of hardware is new to me and starting to get a little frustrating.
I've got an AquaC EV180 powered by a Mag 9.5. It's been running near a month on a new tank with zero bio-load. Not a popular skimmer here with Canreefers, I know. It was my first hardware purchase 2 years ago. I did some research on it and read that it was a very good skimmer, so I pulled the trigger, perhaps too early. I'm still (one month later) having a very hard time getting it tuned in. The output is 1/2" above the water line as suggested, and its sitting at about 6 inches deep in the sump on some eggcrate. The drain is directed back to the sump for now because just when I think I've got it tuned, it will overflow like crazy several minutes later. I've also added an elbow on the output. Not ideal, but I have followed AquaC's recommendations on this modification.

Is there anyone here who has experience with this skimmer and could offer some advice?

Does the fact that I have no bio-load have something to do with it?

I'm almost at the point of chucking this thing over the fence and trying another brand, which is annoying considering it cost $540. I mean seriously, I could have spent a couple hundred more and got a BK!

Thanks for your help (opinions welcome)!

Old 02-15-2015, 05:10 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

If there's nothing in the tank to skim, it's going to be tough to tune it. I would expect the water line to be closer to the neck of the cup tho.

These were fairly popular a couple years ago, so someone should have some tips.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:36 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
If there's nothing in the tank to skim, it's going to be tough to tune it. I would expect the water line to be closer to the neck of the cup tho.
Ok, thanks Brad. I guess I'll just be a bit more patient. Truthfully, you were the one person whom I was hoping would convince me to get a BK, lol.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:58 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

You know, I have the BK Mini 200 and I love it. But I got it for a few hundred bucks. Would I pay 1200?? No, probably not. The "well made" argument doesn't cut it, it sits in a sump of water, and I rarely kick it across the room. The "fancy" Magic Dragon pump is really just a Laguna pump, worth maybe 120? It's a great design, I like the cup and how it comes apart, but in the end, it's just a skimmer. I wouldn't buy one new unless I found a bag of money. I think there are skimmers that perform equally for a lot less money. Maybe not built as solid, but this thing is way over built for it's intended use.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:10 AM

apexifd is on a distinguished road

get a BK.. it matches the colour scheme of your hose and plumbing. almost

purple tang, sohal tang, yellow eye kole tang, fairy wrasse. cleaner wrasse, leopard wrasse, and misc fish.

GHL Mitras 6200HV X 2, MP40 X 2, MP60 X 1, tunze 6095 X 2, Vertex RX6 calcium reactor, Bubble King SM250, Aquamaxx bio pellets reactor, Profilux 3
Old 02-16-2015, 03:24 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexifd View Post
get a BK.. it matches the colour scheme of your hose and plumbing. almost
There is that
Old 02-16-2015, 04:43 AM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

I think that you need to wait until you have a bio load before making adjustments. Theres nothing really to skim at this point. Give it some time and it'll start doing its job.

Theres not even any color in those bubbles yet!

They call it addiction for a reason...