Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 02-12-2015, 11:10 AM

LoJack is on a distinguished road
Default Vertex Omega 180i or Reef Octopus Prime 200int ??

Hey guys,

I've been out of the game for a year now due to a big move, and recent twins coming into our lives. I've had a Reef Octopus in the past, and it was a great skimmer. Occasionally it would go erratic and overflow the cup ... and then would go back to normal. That was my only knock on it though.

I'm about to start a 120 Gallon with 30-40 Gallon sump build. It will be heavily stocked, and predominantly SPS. I obviously need a great skimmer. These two seem like good prices based on the reviews.

I haven't been following the forums for a while though, and I would like to know what user experience is like

Is there a clear winner between these two skimmers? I want the skimmer that will do the best job because the price difference is negligible

Thanks guys! Looking forward to starting my build thread!

--Tyler
Old 02-12-2015, 02:35 PM

tytown is on a distinguished road
Smile

I can only speak for the reef octopus. Ive been running an Elite 220-INT for over 6 months and Im quite happy with it. Though the Elite series has the new RO DC pump so I cant really compare to what pump is used on the Prime I have been impressed with the body construction, tun-ability, and servicability.
I think they are both great looking skimmers and you wont be any worse off with one than the other. Maybe throw the BM curve 9 in the mix?
On another note, if you can stretch the budget (I dont know what the current price differnence is..) the Elite 200 has the same body but the DC controllable pump. Even though I have a controller I still find the feed and speed setting buttons really useful when doing waterchanges or mucking about in the sump when your skimmer would otherwise overflow. And who doesnt love techy reefing harware with buttons and lights?!
Old 02-13-2015, 11:11 AM

LoJack is on a distinguished road

Awesome thanks for some feedback Ty. I'm leaning toward the Reef Octopus just because I had a ton of success with the last Reef Octopus skimmer that I had. However, I've heard amazing things about the Vertex, and just wanted to see what people's thoughts were on the two.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:27 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation