Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-05-2002, 07:31 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road
Default Clown Gobies

Here's a couple of threads on RC about clown gobies eating SPS to lay eggs.

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin...threadid=99810

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin...w+clown+gobies

Mine definitely cleared off several areas of the table acro until those areas turned white. Wish I had taken a photo. The Acro just couldn't handle it and completely died overnight one day from RTN I guess. Perhaps if I separate the 2 gobies into 2 different tanks, I'll have better luck.

Nice article on clown gobies this month on ReefKeeping.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...hcs3/index.htm
Old 10-06-2002, 02:50 AM

Acro is on a distinguished road
Default Clown Gobies

Sam,

Are you talking about yellow gobies? If so did you get the from j&l? Those ones are for sure acro eating. I have one and thats all it eats. I havn't noticed alot of damage as it does have a few to pick from. If I could I'd catch mine and get rid of it but the darn things fast. I'm not to sure if these ones would live with out the acro's or not as it does not eat from the water column. But it's sure fat and full or polyps.
Old 10-06-2002, 03:03 AM

Default Clown Gobies

Jamie, yes, I got the yellow clown gobies from J&L. So, you have just one and it still eats Acros even when not spawning. Good to know. At least your mother colonies can grow back faster than the fish can eat them I'd imagine. I only have small Acro frags. :(

Old 10-06-2002, 03:21 AM

Default Clown Gobies

Sam,

Yeah their polyp pigs. If you can take them out and bring them back to j&l. Tell them their not acro friendly. I told them, perhaps you got yours before. I know they had a wack of them and last time I went their they never. So I'm curious were they went. If any one bought them that do not house acro's. I like to know how long they lived or if their still alive.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:55 PM

Sam,

Just so happens that www.reefkeeping.com has an article on gobies this month. I read it and was some confused about the mention of the yellow goby. So I asked the author for his thoughts here http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin...hreadid=118715
I'm just waiting for a reply.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:27 AM

Jamie, yes, I read that article. I think those are the same yellow clown gobies as ours.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:19 AM
Gold Member

One_Divided is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to One_Divided

Hey guys, I have the same type of goby as well and I have seen him nip polyps on many occations.. He is always fat, so I am sure he's chomping down more then I'd like to know about. I personally have whitnessed him eating food out of the water column, but not much. I have noticed several of my acro colonies showing a lot less polyp extension then usual during the day.. Night time they are normal.. I have seen him mostly bugging my pink a. milepora collony. My frist thoughts on this were to let nature run it's course and just have the corals recover on their own.. But now it appears he is doing more damage then I'd bargained for.. Hope I can catch 'em..

-Adam
Old 10-07-2002, 02:41 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

do thease guys just eat acros? or will they pic another coral type in absence of a acro?

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 10-07-2002, 03:13 AM

I havn't noticed him pick at anything else in my tank. Although he has his share of acro's to pick from. I've never seen him pick at any other sps in the system. I'm still intrested to here from someone that doesn't house sps to share their experiences.
Old 10-07-2002, 04:03 AM

kris is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to kris Send a message via MSN to kris

I will step up and give my two cents (really that's all I have).

I have a yellow clown gobie in my tank. My little guy loves to sit on my candy cane coral, green open brain, and a finger leather. On the first day the candy cane really did not like its new friend, but shortly after was back to normal. The gobie other 2 favoret corals have never minded thier friend hang out.

so far the little clown has been just that, i really enjoy its all around personality. i think they're a great adition. Oh and my tank is mainly LPS and softies