Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-11-2015, 12:29 AM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy
Default Multi Barred Angels

After my recent fiasco with the Moorish Idols, I decided to try my hand at another difficult fish: the multi-barred angel. Since I am clearly a glutton for punishment (aren't we all in this hobby?), I sourced three little cuties. I have been looking for one for a year now, I even started a LF thread, to no avail. So, when the opportunity arose, I bought 3 of them. Two are loonie-sized and the third is more the size of a twoonie. Needless to say twoonie is dominating the other two.

I threw them in a 33 gallon with some cheato and props for hiding places, but they don't seem to care. They are all swimming around happily. There's some minor chasing, but nothing they can't handle.

The second day I started throwing in a variety of foods. So far they have nibbled at some cyclop-eeze, both frozen and dried. I haven't seen them eat anything else.

I want to see them eat before I add Prazipro. I want to treat them with Prazipro preventively and then keep them in hyposalinity for a month. Any comments/suggestions?

Old 01-11-2015, 12:41 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Black out the sides. Helps a lot. Also, I prefer to use clay pots in QT tanks. They are heavier and darker. Helps the fish feel more comfortable.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:37 AM

Thanks for the advice Albert. That is just a tank I threw together quickly. I am working on it.

Update: Twoonie eats cyclop-eeze (both frozen and dry) and frozen blood worms from the water column
Loonie and quarter only peck at things on the bottom of the tank or on the rocks. I don't see them eating heartily....
None of them touch pellets or clam on the half shell.

There's a fair amount of chasing going on, but no actual damage. They seem to chase each other in a tight circle , almost like a dance. I mean a circle barely wider than their length. Has anyone else seen this behaviour?
Old 01-12-2015, 12:54 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Yah, you gotta put a stop to that. Even though they aren't exhibiting any signs of physical stress, eventually, you'll end up with fish huddled up at the top of the tank that refuse to eat. Put in a divider and that should put a stop to that til you get them into a larger tank where they should have much more room and cover to deal with the aggression.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:46 AM

George is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrazorguy View Post
There's a fair amount of chasing going on, but no actual damage. They seem to chase each other in a tight circle , almost like a dance. I mean a circle barely wider than their length. Has anyone else seen this behaviour?
yeah...they are trying to establish pecking order...through fighting. I would second the suggestion of adding a couple dividers and separate all 3. Are you trying to build a harem? It would be best if you can get all 3 to eat regularly and be fat first before you introduce them to each other.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:53 AM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

I tried one which was eating mysis and blood worm. but my purple tang was harassing it so badly it ended up hiding in the corner almost full time and not getting much food. So I had to rehome it
Old 01-12-2015, 04:26 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

I don't know much about these fishies, but I'll agree that separation is in order
Plus, get away from the bloodworms - not really a good diet for SW fish
Try some chopped up plankton/krill instead
Old 01-12-2015, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
yeah...they are trying to establish pecking order...through fighting. I would second the suggestion of adding a couple dividers and separate all 3. Are you trying to build a harem? It would be best if you can get all 3 to eat regularly and be fat first before you introduce them to each other.
Yes, George, I am trying to build a harem. I will divide them tomorrow if the chasing continues. I do want to keep them all....
Old 01-12-2015, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Plus, get away from the bloodworms - not really a good diet for SW fish
Try some chopped up plankton/krill instead
I know bloodworms are not good, but I was throwing at them what I had on hand. Where can I get some plankton/krill? What do you recommend?
Old 01-12-2015, 05:47 AM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

There's nothing wrong with bloodworms as part of a diet but I wouldn't do them as the only food source. Personally I don't do anything as a single main food source. I change it up with a mix of different frozen foods and different pellets. A real variety of things so the fish have different meals on different days.