Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 12-27-2014, 04:24 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Kole tang is being an A-----E

I just got a Flame angle at J&L to replace my Coral Beauty that I lost a couple of weeks back, well the flame angel was not welcomed with open fins by my Kole tang, the kole used to chase the coral beauty too.
I thought with the different color it may be ok, but seems to be like a bull and a red cape, hoping with a few days the kole will get over his hissy fit and loose some of his aggression.
Comments anyone........
Old 12-27-2014, 04:30 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

He's racist Laurie My kole tang does the exact thing but to any kind of blennie. He's killed a couple of tail spots. The lawnmower blenny finally has some size to him and fought back so the fights now over. Hopefully he stops being an arsehole but I doubt it.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:46 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Yup, a tang is a tang... I have 2 Kole tangs, one in each tank,... great algae eaters. But like most tangs will harass new fish if they see them as a threat or competitor for food. Good news, is the Kole's are not as bad as the yellow or purple tangs (have one of each of them, too). And after a few days, the aggression should subside and most likely will leave your Flame Angel alone completely in a couple weeks. The picture or mirror on the glass trick helps, though, to distract him if he is really bad (had to use that with my yellow tang many times).
Old 12-27-2014, 04:52 PM
busy with fresh water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
He's racist Laurie My kole tang does the exact thing but to any kind of blennie. He's killed a couple of tail spots. The lawnmower blenny finally has some size to him and fought back so the fights now over. Hopefully he stops being an arsehole but I doubt it.
Thanks for the input Bill, love my kole but he's a real dork.
Will see how it goes in the next few days, the only way I'll catch him is to do a complete rescape but would rather not have to go there, but I may have to.
There may be a really nice Kole tang FS soon.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:35 AM

emerald crab is on a distinguished road

2-3 weeks in sump detention usually does the trick. After that, he's the new guy in the tank and usually is well behaved.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:56 AM
busy with fresh water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald crab View Post
2-3 weeks in sump detention usually does the trick. After that, he's the new guy in the tank and usually is well behaved.
Yep I've heard of that method and it would probably work, the problem is try to catch him in a 2 year old reef tank without having to take all the rock work out.
But I am happy to say he's has mellowed out towards the new flame angel now he's only a little bit of a dork like usual. My clown fish pair are now acting like jerks some what but nowhere near as aggressive as the Kole.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:42 PM

duncangweller is on a distinguished road

Laurie, there's a fish trap in circulation at the moment. I think Ryan Eriksson has it at the moment in south surrey. It worked a charm for both of us.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:53 PM

seabreeze is on a distinguished road

I actually think it might be in Chilliwack now... but I'm sure we can find it for you

My guess is... attach a piece of nori to the clip on the inside... and you will have him in under 5min

I have some tasty stuff here that he can't refuse ...right Duncan
Old 12-28-2014, 07:58 PM
busy with fresh water.

I don't think I'll need the trap, I really like my Kole even if he's a dork some times.
Things have settled down, no totally harmony but almost.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:59 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Good
I'm glad he is fitting in