Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 12-05-2014, 06:17 PM

CM125 is on a distinguished road
Default HERBIE ON HOB OVERFLOW

So Ive been recently converted our large tank to a Herbie setup and it has done awesome! If anyone is thinking about I highly recommend it. We only had 1 overflow so the return had to come over the back, but its totally worth it. Anyways Ive decided I want to do this on our little tank as well. This tank runs a HOB overflow. In principle this should still work. I will be drilling into the side of the back box for my emergency, as high up as possible. I will also be rigging up a float valve to turn the pump off if things go sideways. I couldn't find any others who have done this so im guessing Im just looking for confirmation before I drill into my overflow. Based on my understanding of everything I think im good to go, but if anyone has anything to add or think about please let me know.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:39 PM

Im guessing no one has done this then lol. I tried it anyways. I drilled a hole in the side of the overflow for the emergency, I had to shave off the sides of the bulkhead so it fit in there. I drilled almost right at the top which looked right at first but I didn't account for the tank being slightly higher, in retrospect I would have put it a little lower. When it runs in full emergency the tank is full right to the top and it splashes over a bit, not major but not perfect. It seems to run as a herbie should, but needs readjustment after a water change or a power out. I don't recommend this setup (or HOBs in general) but for an established tank that you don't want to move it seems to be working out.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:22 PM

BuschWacker is on a distinguished road

Im using an eshopps HOB and have thought about doing this but couldn't really find anyone else that has attempted it. I would like to see pics of what you have done.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuschWacker View Post
Im using an eshopps HOB and have thought about doing this but couldn't really find anyone else that has attempted it. I would like to see pics of what you have done.
I have the eshopps 800, ill try to take some pics tonight
Old 12-15-2014, 03:30 PM

One week update, works awesome. Takes some time to reset after water changes but that was expected. Although I haven't had to use the second pipe I still am thinking about drilling it lower.