Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-06-2004, 11:13 PM

Richer is on a distinguished road
Default Differences between mysis shrimp brands

Is there a difference between mysis shrimp brands? or is a mysis shrimp a mysis shrimp?
I bought a pack of Hikari mysis shrimp for my clowns... but my clowns refuse to eat them. They would take one in, then promptly spit it out, only eating the occasional bit here and there... but leaving most of the shrimp floating around the tank. They do however, go crazy over cyclop-eeze. Are my clowns just plain picky?

-Richer
Old 09-06-2004, 11:22 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Richer, I know the difference between Hikari and PE mysis is the source. PE is freshwater mysis, whereas Hikari is marine. Whether there is a difference between marine brands, who knows.
As for the fish, generally they need to spit stuff out for the first few times you try it. I use the PE mysis, and I've never seen anything NOT eat it. Maybe try some of that.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:44 PM

I have a whole package of the hikari stuff, so I guess I try again for a few more days (in small quantities of course). Hopefully the clowns will start eating them soon.

Whats the difference between FW and SW mysis? Is one generally preferred over the other?

-Richer
Old 09-06-2004, 11:46 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewto...ighlight=mysis

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 09-07-2004, 12:11 AM

Looks like I'm going to have to give PE mysis a try then... I think I saw some at Big Al's the other day. Thanks

-Richer
Old 09-07-2004, 12:44 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

myself I use the hikari stuff. I don't like the idea of feeding my fish non native foods. in this I mean that the PE is from a fresh water lake where the hikari is from the salt water so the balance of goodness and such in the hikari will more closely resemble what they would get in a native scenario. IE it has been shown that the levels of fatty acids and other fats and proteins are different in fresh water and salt water shrimp. I feed the PE stuff to my fresh water fish.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:15 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

Is there any need to rinse the mysis before feeding?
Old 09-07-2004, 05:43 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
Is there any need to rinse the mysis before feeding?
I think so, but others feel the juice is good for the corals. I feed my corals, so the juice can stay out of the tank.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:43 PM

Orion80 is on a distinguished road
Default shrimp

Have u tried soaking your smysis in garlic, or atleast adding it too your food before feeding, and of course I find it best to keep mixing up the food, as in as many different types of food as opossible. Cauliflower is healthy but not if u eat it for every meal.

Good Luck
Adie
Old 09-08-2004, 03:49 PM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy
I don't like the idea of feeding my fish non native foods. Steve
what - no banana??

It would be nice to offer only foods that may be a familiar (or 'native') food source to the fish, but that's so impractical as to be nearly impossible - for me, anyways. And reading the nutritive info on the FW mysis, I'm not sure that it's not better, based on that alone.

Plus, it looks better, holds together better, presents in the water better than the SW mysis I've seen, and they feed like bandits - one more way that I tell myself I'm making up the difference in providing as healthy an environment as I can.

I mean, nori wrapped around PVC isn't something they would encounter in the wild either (as has been mentioned before), but is accepted eagerly and seems to aid in their overall well-being. But at least seaweed is SW...