Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 10-03-2014, 04:29 AM

SaltyDog143 is on a distinguished road
Default need advice please

Ok i have been having some trouble finding a heater for my system, the compartment in the sump that it will be in is 13.5" x 10", with 8" of water, i would prefer a submersible (of course) that will fit into this compartment. Any suggestions?
The heater and pumpwill be in there together, which brings me to my next question.....

I could really use some suggestions on a reliable pump thats fairly quiet, its a 120gal tank 50 gal sump with approx 30 gal of water, and a 5' lift from sump to tank top.

thanks in advance
Randy
Old 10-03-2014, 05:05 AM

rsisvixen is on a distinguished road

You could try a Jebao DC 6000 for a pump. Mine is pretty quiet and I like the soft start feature.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:21 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

You can't go wrong with Eheim Jagger heaters
They do last a very long time, but, if you can stand them up vertically and keep the controller 'head' out of water they will last much longer
Check out their specs online for the heating size/dimension you need
And keep in mind that you can pair up or triple what they recommend - you don't need to run just 1 heater. And running more than you need is safer anyway

There are also titanium heaters out there you could look into
Some need controllers, and some come with

For a pump you could always go with the old standby that never fails - the Eheim 1262
Rock-solid pump that will last you for years and years
Old 10-03-2014, 05:33 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
You can't go wrong with Eheim Jagger heaters
They do last a very long time, but, if you can stand them up vertically and keep the controller 'head' out of water they will last much longer
Check out their specs online for the heating size/dimension you need
And keep in mind that you can pair up or triple what they recommend - you don't need to run just 1 heater. And running more than you need is safer anyway

There are also titanium heaters out there you could look into
Some need controllers, and some come with

For a pump you could always go with the old standby that never fails - the Eheim 1262
Rock-solid pump that will last you for years and years
+1.

DC pumps have all the cool modern features, but there have been many documented failures of the controllers and power supplies.
I'm not saying don't try one, but it's probably a good idea to have an AC pump available as a back up. The Eheim 1262 is killz!
Old 10-03-2014, 07:55 AM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

I use a Via Aqua titanium heater with a remote set & temp probe Keeps my 90 g DT & 50 Sump @ 79 Degrees perfect it's totally submergible and only 9" long. There $45 @ J&L , I have a couple of extra's for $30 each. I run a 125 watt Eheim Jager as well as back up. Both heaters are great quality.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the input guys
Old 10-04-2014, 05:45 AM

Due to some advice and some more reading I have a couple questions about how I am thinking of setting this up......

do you guys think the eheim 1262 will have sufficient flow for my 120 gal tank, considering I have a 5' lift from sump to tank top?

been loooking into controller and heaters and am considering buying the digital aquatics reef keeper elite plus as well as two finnex deluxe titanium heating tubes (300w)

Opinions? Does this sound good? I like the size of the finnex 300w, as they will fit in my sump, just not sure if you can install them laying on their sides, I have heard that some submersible ones should not be installed that way.

as always, opinions and suggestions greatly welcomed
Randy
Old 10-04-2014, 05:54 AM

neoh is on a distinguished road

try the head loss calculator to calculate the amount of flow you would be getting:

http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php...oss-calculator

300w is probably overkill, but would work fine. I use a 200W on my 180 and a backup titanium connected to my reefkeeper as well, using a temperature probe.

My heaters have always been resting in the tank, with the top out of the water on a 45 degree angle. Never heard of not putting them horizontal. The titanium heater is meant to be horizontal as far as I understand.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:29 PM

KeystoneAquatics is on a distinguished road

I have all waveline pumps and they have been great and super quiet. Saltysupply has a sale right now on them, 43% off I believe.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:25 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDog143 View Post
Opinions? Does this sound good? I like the size of the finnex 300w, as they will fit in my sump, just not sure if you can install them laying on their sides, I have heard that some submersible ones should not be installed that way.
I've always had my Eheim and ViaAqua heaters laying on the bottom of my sump for years without issue.