Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-26-2014, 02:02 AM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road
Default Getting Back In!

Hi everyone. So I moved from Edmonton to Banff about 5 years ago and have been without a saltwater tank since then. My things have changed in those years. Led were just starting out and i think the only dc volt return pump was the red dragon. I'm just putting together a new set up, waiting for my new tank to be build by Ocean Creations in Calgary. I bought a system from an individual that was shutting down so I have a temporary tank set up for now. So far I have all the live rock I need, two ecotech radion xr30w's, a eshoppes s-200 cone skimmer (too big for my new tank so coming up for sale soon)and most everything else except for a couple key components. Right now I'm trying to decide between powerheads and return pumps. For a return pump I've been cosidering a Reef Octopus RODC 3500. Does anyone have experience with these? Are they reliable? I heard the old generation diablo pumps were not.?. And for the powerheads either Tunze's or Ecotechs. With having the Ecotech lights I would prefer to go that route but only issue with the Ecotech powerheads is that the tank is going to be fairly small. 30Lx24wx18tall. The custom tank is thicker then recommended for mp 10's and i think the mp 40's maybe too powerful. The tank is gonna be softies and Lps only. So maybe Tunzes? Reliable? Quiet? What brand is best? Any help making this decision would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-26-2014, 03:18 AM

IanWR is on a distinguished road

Congrats (condolences?) on getting back into reefing.

If you are looking at a dc return pump you cold look at jebao or waveline or some such. Much cheaper that $280ish. I have a speedwave 1320 (I think they are discontinued, but a similar pump) using the second lowest speed on my 30"x24"x24". Seems to work, visitors say its quiet (I still hear it, but barely).

Personally I use tunzes, just the noncontrollable ones: a 6025 and a 6045. Much as I would have liked powerheads that were controllable, it was not in my budget. I can say they are silent, blend in with background more than I thought they would, and seem to get the job done. As for which brand is best, I don't think there is a consensus. The many factors of price, features, reliability, and aesthetics lead people to define "the best" differently.

My tank is a mixed reef, some softies, lps, a few sps, and 2 rbta. Might they be happier with a more varied flow? Maybe/probably, yet they still seem to grow. So I don't think you have to go with ecotechs, but they are nice if you can afford it.

Good luck with your progress, and keep us posted!

- Ian
Old 09-26-2014, 03:30 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

A lot of people have been getting the Jebao WP or newer RW series of powerhead. They are controllable, silent and fairly inexpensive. The new Maxspect Gyre Generator is set to be released soon and if they prove to be what they claim I'll be replacing my 3 older koralias power heads for one of these. I had a Jebao WP-25 in a 29g reef tank but ended up selling it because all but the lowest settings were too much for the tank.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:47 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

My condolences or is it congratulations for coming back to the hobby

For power heads I went with Hydor koralia's and the smart wave timer in part due to cost and in part I had some that were given to me and was impressed in the quiet running

As for return pump I just went with mag drive submersible pump again due to cost but have been impressed again with its quiet running and easy maintenance
Old 09-26-2014, 09:01 PM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road

Seems like all good suggestions. The gyre is pretty neat and seems to move a lot of water. Kind of a toss up between the Tunzes and the Koralias. Either way I wound like to run them on a controller. If price is not an issue would it be better to go with the Tunzes? Am I correct to say that the control of the tunzes is more adjustable then the koralias?