Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 09-21-2014, 11:53 PM

kamloops_reefer is on a distinguished road
Default L.E.D. light build - ongoing

Here are a few shots of the heat sink I'm putting together. Being in the steel industry I just can't justify spending hundreds of dollars on decent sized heat sinks from some of the online suppliers. So I decided to make my own, 1/4" x 1/2" flat bar and 1/8" x 1" flat bar - will be held together with both Stainless Steel threaded rod, and a adhesive agent.

I've had the LED's ordered for awhile, got them from LED group buy - will be running of a 300 watt power supply.

don't expect progress for while

Last edited by kamloops_reefer; 01-21-2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:10 AM

mikellini is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamloops_reefer View Post
Here are a few shots of the heat sink I'm putting together. Being in the steel industry I just can't justify spending hundreds of dollars on decent sized heat sinks from some of the online suppliers. So I decided to make my own, 1/4" x 1/2" flat bar and 1/8" x 1" flat bar - will be held together with both Stainless Steel threaded rod, and a adhesive agent.

I've had the LED's ordered for awhile, got them from LED group buy - will be running of a 300 watt power supply.

don't expect progress for while
Looks good. Most run aluminum or copper for heatsinks, with copper working a bit better than aluminum but not as good in salt water environments. Is that all steel? Should work as well as long as it's large enough.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:50 AM

no this is aluminum - sorry by being in the steel industry, one typically has access to all metals
Old 09-22-2014, 02:04 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

will your adhesive transfer heat?
Old 09-22-2014, 02:55 PM

what epoxy I will use is unknown - there are "metal welding adhesives"

were you trying to bring up the point of thermal transfer paranoia?
just like insulation, one wouldn't have to become paranoid that the adhesive prevents thermal transfer - I'm sure it would for the first 2 seconds. Look at commonly used high rating per inch Rigid insulation - 1" gets you 3.2R If these adhesive offered an R2000 insulation rating and could stop heat transfer in a space of 0.0001" you would probably see a revolution in insulation products. I know I've read a lot of people concerned about some minuscule topics like this, myself as well - but when I've put it into a perspective like I have - I'm far from worried

its my opinion that this would become nill, and I only have to ensure the adhesive will maintain its properties at high temperatures.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:37 AM

brandonpauley is on a distinguished road

Thought I'd share my DIY LED build. I caved in and bought the LED Group Buy heatsink. I love DIY but I have no resources to build a 6 foot long aluminum heatsink so I had to buy one. I have no regrets though because it is designed soooo well that it was totally worth the money. Anyways, I loaded the heatsink with a full spectrum of leds, UV, Violet, Deep Blue, Blue, Cyan, Red, Warm White and Neutral White. All of the LED's are driven by meanwell PWM drivers, running at a max of 3 watts per LED. I have two 500 watt power supplies supplying the meanwells. I have them all controlled by a Coralux Storm-X controller which is a thing of beauty. The output on this setup is crazy, and being fully customizable I can add more drivers and LED's if I ever get a deeper tank!

Last edited by brandonpauley; 09-25-2014 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:06 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

As long as you use a thermal adhesive that can survive under the temps you're going to have I don't see an issue
But I wouldn't use just any old epoxy

Keep the pics coming
Old 09-25-2014, 05:23 AM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

I f you are placing some lenses on your setup,I hope you have a clean solder as not much room for play with the lenses.
Looking really good.if taken good care of it should last you a long time as mine still going roughly 4 years later.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:19 PM

byee is on a distinguished road

Nice build!!!

I considered the LED Group Buy heatsink for my build but decided it was just easier to buy the Kessil for my 45gal Oceans by Design cube.

Keep the photos coming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2014, 04:12 PM

brandonpauley is on a distinguished road

Of course buying a premade light is easier For me though, I can't justify spending thousands of dollars on lighting a 6 foot long tank, when I can build something for under a thousand which is fully customizable, fully rebuildable and fully upgradable. I'm really interested to see what the OP will be doing with his DIY heatsink!