Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-10-2014, 03:44 PM

ashr is on a distinguished road
Default Ashrs 36x30x20 build!

Hey all

So as some of you know I lost most of my SPS tank last month. It was a pretty sad day to see all my hard work over the last 4 years die in 24 hours..

But life must go on! So it is time to rebuild a bigger and better tank!

This time I am having a custom tank made by Concept Aquariums. This will be a 36x30x20 cube tank with a bean animal over flow.

I have also picked up a 6 month old Vertex Omega 150 skimmer.
For lighting I have a couple of options. I have found a used 10x39w bulb STI sunpower fixture. Or I may go with a 8x39w Dimmable ATI fixture. Thoughts on this?

Here is the tank details ( says 36x36 but I changed my mind as it was a bit to big for what I needed)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (9.8 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (11.2 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (14.1 KB, 110 views)

Ashr's Tank Journal

Last edited by ashr; 09-10-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Sad to hear about the tank crashing. Always fun to start something new though. That is a nice size tank and knowing you it will be stellar in no time!

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Sad to hear about the tank crashing. Always fun to start something new though. That is a nice size tank and knowing you it will be stellar in no time!
It was a pretty sad day for sure, but life goes on! I am very excited to get this tank up and running. Thanks for the kind words, I hope to make this one even better!

So Lighting

10 bulb used ATI sunpower

Or

8 bulb new ATI dimmable fixture?

Ashr's Tank Journal
Old 09-11-2014, 02:25 AM

mikellini is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashr View Post
It was a pretty sad day for sure, but life goes on! I am very excited to get this tank up and running. Thanks for the kind words, I hope to make this one even better!

So Lighting

10 bulb used ATI sunpower

Or

8 bulb new ATI dimmable fixture?
If I had the scratch, I'd go with the 8 bulb + LEDs. Since I can't afford that, I'm going with Kessil LEDs... I actually don't like the look of t5's on their own, too much like a picture of a tank than an actual tank. Also has been described as a "windex" look. But to each their own
Old 09-12-2014, 06:38 PM

I wish I could afford that! I think the wife would kill me if I did.. haha

I have always loved the ATI bulbs but never had the fixture. Could you go into more details with what you mean?

Ashr's Tank Journal
Old 09-12-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I wish I could afford that! I think the wife would kill me if I did.. haha

I have always loved the ATI bulbs but never had the fixture. Could you go into more details with what you mean?
For me, it's the lack of shimmer. It's nice that on the ati fixtures you can dim the bulbs for somewhat of a sunrise sunset effect, but having no shimmer just doesn't look realistic to me. And the colours... Sometimes they look amazing, but sometimes they look totally artificial. Maybe it's because I've done some diving and snorkeling on reefs in the ocean, I just expect my aquarium to look a little more like that. Plus, then there's bulb replacement, higher energy usage, and trying to find just the right colour combination of bulbs (spending as you go)...
Old 09-13-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
For me, it's the lack of shimmer. It's nice that on the ati fixtures you can dim the bulbs for somewhat of a sunrise sunset effect, but having no shimmer just doesn't look realistic to me. And the colours... Sometimes they look amazing, but sometimes they look totally artificial. Maybe it's because I've done some diving and snorkeling on reefs in the ocean, I just expect my aquarium to look a little more like that. Plus, then there's bulb replacement, higher energy usage, and trying to find just the right colour combination of bulbs (spending as you go)...
Good info for sure. What are you using right now? I am mainly looking growth SPS. I want the best color and growth I can. I have not heard the best things for LED and SPS...

Ashr's Tank Journal
Old 09-13-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Good info for sure. What are you using right now? I am mainly looking growth SPS. I want the best color and growth I can. I have not heard the best things for LED and SPS...
I'm not sure anyone knows yet what the optimal LED setup is for growing SPS... that being said, I'll be going with a Kessil A360WE, partly for aesthetics (going on a rimless tank) and partly because of other factors. For one, the shimmer is unreal because it really is a point-source light, more like the sun in that respect than any other light out there. This means, of course, that there will be significant shadowing, but I don't see this as a bad thing necessarily. Then there's UV; Kessil is the only LED that I know of that actually produces true UV light (<400nm); not sure from what I've read if this is absolutely necessary but is closer to natural conditions for coral. Also, I've read these lights are way more than enough for most tanks, and many people don't run them at full power; for me this is good, as I plan on raising it up a bit to cover 30x30, so I don't have to worry about it being underpowered.

For your tank, I would definitely go with two A360WE's for better coverage. I'm actually thinking about doing that with my 30x30 footprint, but I'll start with one and see how it is. Then there's the AP700:

http://reefbuilders.com/2014/05/30/k...-matrix-array/
Old 09-13-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure anyone knows yet what the optimal LED setup is for growing SPS... that being said, I'll be going with a Kessil A360WE, partly for aesthetics (going on a rimless tank) and partly because of other factors. For one, the shimmer is unreal because it really is a point-source light, more like the sun in that respect than any other light out there. This means, of course, that there will be significant shadowing, but I don't see this as a bad thing necessarily. Then there's UV; Kessil is the only LED that I know of that actually produces true UV light (<400nm); not sure from what I've read if this is absolutely necessary but is closer to natural conditions for coral. Also, I've read these lights are way more than enough for most tanks, and many people don't run them at full power; for me this is good, as I plan on raising it up a bit to cover 30x30, so I don't have to worry about it being underpowered.

For your tank, I would definitely go with two A360WE's for better coverage. I'm actually thinking about doing that with my 30x30 footprint, but I'll start with one and see how it is. Then there's the AP700:

http://reefbuilders.com/2014/05/30/k...-matrix-array/
Thanks for all the info.. I need to do a lot of reading up.. I would need to run two of the A360WE like you said for sure. I want to have mostly sps and acros,millis so I want to make sure they keep the color and have good growth. I will also be dosing.

Ashr's Tank Journal
Old 09-13-2014, 10:55 PM

ronau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Then there's UV; Kessil is the only LED that I know of that actually produces true UV light (<400nm)
What's the difference between the Kessil UV and the UV LEDs in the AI Hydra 52 and Ecotech Radion XR30w Pro?