Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 09-05-2014, 07:52 PM

hfp75 is on a distinguished road
Default ? Tiger Goby ?

I am looking at two needs for a new tank I am setting up, sand sifting & a watchmen for my Randalls.

I can use separate fish for this BUT I have been reading and looking around at a Tiger Goby:

http://www.livingreefs.com/attachmen...oby1-jpg.6618/

I am wondering though.... They are commonly found online as Tiger Watchmen Goby but yet they are in the family with the sleeper gobys (Valenciennea).... Is it a Prawn Goby or a Sleeper (sand sifter) Goby ?? Or is it a Sand sifter that will live with a shrimp? So theoretically then he'll be out of the den more....

I used to have a Yellow Watchman and he earned the name watchman as he was always with the shrimp. Maybe these Tiger Gobys are not as co-dependant as a YWG ? They get out and sift but yet go 'home' with the shrimps ?

Anyone got any experience with these fish ?

Last edited by hfp75; 09-05-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:12 PM

George is on a distinguished road

That is the problem with common name. People can call a fish any names they like. But the fact that the particular fish in question is in the Valenciennea genus tells me that the fish won't live with a pistol shrimp. It just sifts sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfp75 View Post
I am looking at two needs for a new tank I am setting up, sand sifting & a watchmen for my Randalls.

I can use separate fish for this BUT I have been reading and looking around at a Tiger Goby:

http://www.livingreefs.com/attachmen...oby1-jpg.6618/

I am wondering though.... They are commonly found online as Tiger Watchmen Goby but yet they are in the family with the sleeper gobys (Valenciennea).... Is it a Prawn Goby or a Sleeper (sand sifter) Goby ?? Or is it a Sand sifter that will live with a shrimp? So theoretically then he'll be out of the den more....

I used to have a Yellow Watchman and he earned the name watchman as he was always with the shrimp. Maybe these Tiger Gobys are not as co-dependant as a YWG ? They get out and sift but yet go 'home' with the shrimps ?

Anyone got any experience with these fish ?