Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-18-2004, 02:15 AM

Invigor is on a distinguished road
Default cleaning practices

Just trying to get a general feeling what others have to say about this..

I've heard that in DSBs they must remain untouched because over time there's a buildup of toxic bacteria that can crash a tank into nothing in no time at all if it's disturbed. Has anyone had this happen or is it just a myth?

Can it happen in any unmaintained tank, not necessarily just DSBs? Does anyone gravel vac their marine tanks? It's critical in freshwater tanks, but is it critical in marines or does the bacteria keep up with it? How do you keep a sandbed clean when it's made with sand instead of larger crushed coral? Do people rely on "cleanup crew" to simplify tank maintenance?
Old 08-18-2004, 05:19 AM

Azilla is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Azilla

only cleaning of my tank i do is the glass. Also i puff the rocks off with a baster. I had Mad Brown Alge and Redslime i fought a battle and won. So far its been 3 weeks and clean. Everything thing in my tank in that 2 weeks thrived!!! U can Purchase a good cleanup crew and u are pretty much worry free. Only thing i do is clean the sump, FOr that i have a pump to suck out all the crap on the bottom then i have a bag of brand new white cloths i rinse in RO water then wipe the sumps walls and heaters. clean the skimmer that all the cleaning i ever do.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:35 PM

powerreef is on a distinguished road

Hi Invigor. In the lower regions of the sand bed, you will reach an area that is oxygen depleted. In this area the first group of bacteria that populate it is SRB's Sulfide reducing bacteria, they are not toxic but the byproduct they produce is very toxic. So stiring deep into this area can cause alot of harm to your critters above.
The concept of Aquarium Composting (DSB's) is that bacteria reduce nitrogen based products and cycle everything else. Bacteria are the only critters in the bed that do this. The larger critters such as snails, worms and so on are thier to help migrate the different forms of nitrogen and other products through out the bed (basically they create the pathway).
According to the experts and starters of the dsb fad, a 6 inch DSB in a 100 gallon tank will be able to provide nitrogen filtration for 3 to 4 small fish and 4 to 5 corals. So you can adjust these stats to what ever tank size you have. In most peoples tank this does not meet the kind of filtration they need. I know several people that lightly stir the top region of the bed (about 1 inch) and syphon out the detritus that becomes suspended. This method will not release the sulfide (as the sulfide is much deeper) and will help the dsb cope with the extra bioload.

hope it helps

Mike

www.reeffrontiers.com