Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 06-14-2014, 12:26 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough
Default Mind : Blown!

I was just quoted $190 for a custom 13 gal ATO reservoir made of polycarbonate. The material alone is $120. I am completely shocked! I haven't spoken to a glass shop yet but I am guessing it isn't much cheaper.

Anyone got any ideas? Perhaps some used glass or poly/lexan kicking around? I need 7 feet by 18 inches.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:20 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
I was just quoted $190 for a custom 13 gal ATO reservoir made of polycarbonate. The material alone is $120. I am completely shocked! I haven't spoken to a glass shop yet but I am guessing it isn't much cheaper.

Anyone got any ideas? Perhaps some used glass or poly/lexan kicking around? I need 7 feet by 18 inches.
Post up a few pics or sketches (with dimensions) of what you're wanting to build. $190 seems pretty ridiculous. I've built many acrylic/polycarbonate items and I have a hard time believing it's that much. Hell, the custom, polished-edge glass sheets with coast to coast overflow notches cost to build my 50G cost less than $200.

If you show me what you want to build I can give you a pretty good ballpark cost and tell you how (or even help you, if I'm in town) to build the thing.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:44 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

It's because the place/person you asked to build it doesn't wanna screw around with small projects for small amounts of money.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:32 PM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

I found a nice 12 gallon RV water tank that was the right dimensions to fit where I wanted it to for my TO water. It was around $100.

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:51 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Post up a few pics or sketches (with dimensions) of what you're wanting to build. $190 seems pretty ridiculous. I've built many acrylic/polycarbonate items and I have a hard time believing it's that much. Hell, the custom, polished-edge glass sheets with coast to coast overflow notches cost to build my 50G cost less than $200.

If you show me what you want to build I can give you a pretty good ballpark cost and tell you how (or even help you, if I'm in town) to build the thing.
Thank-you for your offer. Please find sketch below. I am still shopping around and thinking of alternatives. It's been about 25 years since I have bought any plastics so maybe I am just in shock as to the inflation of it all. Perhaps $120 is what a 7'x18" piece goes for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoD View Post
It's because the place/person you asked to build it doesn't wanna screw around with small projects for small amounts of money.
You are probably correct, although he did say the material was $120. That puts the labour at $70. I could do it myself. I was really blown away at the price of the plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
I found a nice 12 gallon RV water tank that was the right dimensions to fit where I wanted it to for my TO water. It was around $100.
I am still trying to find something that will fit the space, sounds like you got really lucky!!

Old 06-15-2014, 04:54 AM

ReEf BoSs is on a distinguished road

70 is pretty cheap labour costs for anything unless it take less than an hour.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:50 AM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

I used a 10 G tote tub for my RO water storage approx. $10 at walmart or Canadian Tire and a DIY Aquahub kit from BRS and it has everything you need for building your ATO, 2 floats, power relay and assembly strip $39.99, a small gph pump I paid $15 if I remember correctly. some misc. tubing and wire I had on hand. So for under $70 bucks I have a great non- fail ato system that I've been using for about six months now. I'm sure you could hunt down a container of some sort for water storage that will fit in your space without selling the farm.
Here's a couple of pictures of my set up.

Not real fancy but it does a good job for me, so I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. I tried a couple of the other more expensive ato systems and nothing has worked as good as this one has for me.

Last edited by The Guy; 06-15-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:28 PM

SpateD is on a distinguished road

Thats nothing... I was quoted over $500 to build 1 30G acrylic ATO reservoir. I need 2, so the bill was over $1000 with tax.

Luckily, I just kept looking, and finally found some agricultural water tanks that fit the size measurements I needed for under $200. Although they are now 100G + instead of 30.