Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-08-2014, 08:53 PM

monkE is on a distinguished road
Default MonkE and Neoh's 180 Reef Build

When me and Ryan decided to go splits on a house it was immediately clear that we would go splits on a large tank. We've both been aqua nuts forever and Reefers for the past couple years so we've collected plenty of gear. We purchased a tank off another Canreef member and started the planning. I had a 125 gallon tank running and he had a 75 gallon, so we also had a full supply of LR and livestock.

Step 1: Plan

We wanted to make the tank easy to work on as well as be functional. We'd put in the biggest skimmer we've got as well as a fuge for some algae control and pod farm. Also we needed to be 100% sure that there would be no leaks because the tank would be on very nice hardwood floor and our secuirty deposit on this house is huge. We figured that we'd set the whole tank up in the garage and then when it was planned and tested, we'd dissassemble it and move it on upstairs.
Leak test:

Step 2: Get it upstairs

After a couple cases of beer and a few tanks full of water we got the returns and overflows sorted out. Time to move the tank upstairs... grrr... should have thought of this earlier...

Step3: Setup

2 more cases of beer and a long weekend later....
First get the stand in place and start the plumbing on the sump

Had some LED light strips lying around... perfect

Got the skimmer and fuge set up and started with the reefkeeper wiring

Old 06-08-2014, 09:02 PM

Time for the real fun!

Lamp posts from Home Depot make a great light hanger for a decent price - we're running a 4 foot vertex illumina fixture and it's suprisingly heavy

we wanted to limit the amount of LR in the tank to provide a lot of swiming room for the fish - we're going for a few larger tangs that will grow into the tank.

YAY for water!!! I wish i took pictures of all the RO/DI buckets we had going downstairs... there's a video that i'm going to have to figure out how to put onto here
Old 06-08-2014, 09:09 PM

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/n9zig5hGaJQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-08-2014, 09:10 PM

http://youtu.be/n9zig5hGaJQ
Old 06-08-2014, 09:22 PM

corpusse is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the tank and the house. Long way to go for the RO.

Did the 2 of you get the tank up the stairs okay? Or were additional people needed? The reason I ask is I just picked up a 180 myself while it was HEAVY i was able to manage it okay but my friend had some trouble. It's now sitting in my garage as I try and convince 2 more people to help bring it up the stairs into the house and then down the stairs to the basement.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:24 PM

We had both of our tanks running downstairs so it was just a matter of transporting the liverock and the tank water upstairs, the new tank filled up quick!

the fuge
[IMG]http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae146/monkeflow/10277775_1015263970895
9881_647412714878566598_n_zps5ab62609.jpg[/IMG]

FTS

Loraine saying Hi!

SOOOO many frags have been purchased in the past couple months

Merlin hanging out with the monti... it's not bleached, but my phone doesn't get the colours right

We closed the sump in to prevent any salt creep on the wall - but it quickly got quite warm in there with the fuge light running so we added a couple of these fans - temp operated, 120 volt AC plug, they work quite well

I'm a bit of a tech nut so i set up a computer next to the tank for the Vertex control and the MyReef software so you don't have to use the small controller when you want to check or change something

shot of the skimmer

fuge

36 gallon ATO drum

Old 06-08-2014, 09:26 PM

matt_C is on a distinguished road

Nice, i really like those stairs!. Tank looks good.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpusse View Post
Congrats on the tank and the house. Long way to go for the RO.

Did the 2 of you get the tank up the stairs okay? Or were additional people needed? The reason I ask is I just picked up a 180 myself while it was HEAVY i was able to manage it okay but my friend had some trouble. It's now sitting in my garage as I try and convince 2 more people to help bring it up the stairs into the house and then down the stairs to the basement.
Thanks!

well we did it just the two of us... but i wouldn't say we were OK! lol Ryan you want to field this one

I would definitely recommend more people although in our situation it wouldn't have mattered as our back patio stairs are quite narrow and there would not have been room for any extra bodies.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt@concept View Post
Nice, i really like those stairs!. Tank looks good.
thanks Matt!
Old 06-08-2014, 09:43 PM

neoh is on a distinguished road

Nobody would help. We grew impatient.

Half way up the stairs, my arms gave out.
Then we swapped sides and went up and left it at the top of the stairs until we could regain our strength, then attempted it again.

Never under any circumstances do I recommend two people moving a 180g tank on their own. Worst idea ever.