Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Saskatchewan

Old 05-21-2014, 04:13 PM

spedly is on a distinguished road
Default Where did you buy you CUC from?

So my first saltwater tank has begun to cycle and I'm starting to think about stocking. I want to do it right so once the cycle has completed I would like to stock the clean up crew, wait for a month or two, then start stocking fish.

I'm curious to know where other people from SK buy their clean up crews. Pat's Pets and Prairie Aquatics have nice livestock selections but very little in terms of CUC candidates. Is there a place in Saskatoon that sells complete packages like J&L? What did you do?
Old 05-21-2014, 04:44 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

No complete kits per say in Saskatoon. Colby (Bayside Corals) will make one up for you though. You just tell him tank size, tank maturity, and desired inhabitants and him or Gustavo will get you rolling!
Old 05-21-2014, 04:47 PM

IanWR is on a distinguished road

Bayside in Saskatoon usually has a selection of cuc candidates. I've looked at j&l's suggestion for cuc packages and it seems way too much. I don't see how you could dump 100+ hermits and snails in a normal sized tank and expect them to live.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:56 PM

JGT is on a distinguished road

I have found the same thing and ended up buying snails and hermit crabs at high prices . Bayside corals in saskatoon usually has some clean up crew. That being said I am convinced that we don't need as many snails and hermit crab s as some suggest . And the hermits usally kill off the snails. If its hair algae you are worried about once your tank is stable get a tang that you want they love the stuff .I feel my tangs are the best part of my clean up crew ! Strawberry conchs I love too . Also live rock comes with cool hitchhiker clean up crew.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the replies. I was trying to avoid buying live rock. Since this is my first saltwater tank I was trying to keep things easy. I totally understand some of the advantages of live rock but with my luck it would be infested with mantis shrimp and those nasty anemones. What I lack in experience I make up for in patience. I just like doing things right. The idea of being in control of what goes into my tank sounds appealing to me.

Maybe I'll see if Stewart from Prairie Aquatics can put together a special order for me. Otherwise I'll definitely check out Bayside Corals. I could use a trip to Fuddruckers anyways.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:51 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
Thanks for the replies. I was trying to avoid buying live rock. Since this is my first saltwater tank I was trying to keep things easy. I totally understand some of the advantages of live rock but with my luck it would be infested with mantis shrimp and those nasty anemones. What I lack in experience I make up for in patience. I just like doing things right. The idea of being in control of what goes into my tank sounds appealing to me.
+1. Have you started a tank journal yet? We'd love to see some progress!
Old 05-22-2014, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
+1. Have you started a tank journal yet? We'd love to see some progress!
Thank you. Yes, after a couple false starts its up and running and cycling with a big 'ol shrimp from the local fish monger and a splash of pure ammonia for good measure. My system isn't fancy or pretty but I sure have learned from it. Which was the entire point...I have an empty 125g sitting right beside me that's determined to become a beautiful display tank in a year or two.

I'll look into starting a tank journal thread. I really appreciate the encouragement!