Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 05-13-2014, 07:22 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road
Default Skimmer Maintenance

I am finding that my air intake is slowly clogging with something (Salt, calcium, etc) and a part of my regular maintenance is to clean out the air intake tube right from the pump connector to the top intake. If I don't, the skimmer slowly takes less air in resulting in a wetter and wetter skimmate or constant adjustments to get it back to where I want it. Does anyone have an automated solution for this?
Old 05-13-2014, 09:56 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

What about putting the air intake into a warmish (100 deg?) water pail once a week. Suck up about a litre of RO water . That should dissolve the buildup of the salt/calcium/alk or watever it is
Old 05-13-2014, 10:09 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

For my big tank, my ATO dumps into the skimmer air intake. I'm actually surprised at how well this works. Tank and skimmer have been online for about 3 years now, so far I've only taken the venturi apart on a yearly basis (actually I'm overdue for cleanout #3) and so far there hasn't been anything to clean out when I do open it up and look inside.

Whereas in my smaller system every couple months I have to take a bicycle spoke to poke out various hardened goos and I have to do a vinegar bath (or muriatic acid bath if it's really stubborn) on the actual venturi because I can't reach into the part the intake tube goes into and sometimes there are little floaty bits in there.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:51 AM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
For my big tank, my ATO dumps into the skimmer air intake. I'm actually surprised at how well this works. Tank and skimmer have been online for about 3 years now, so far I've only taken the venturi apart on a yearly basis (actually I'm overdue for cleanout #3) and so far there hasn't been anything to clean out when I do open it up and look inside.

Whereas in my smaller system every couple months I have to take a bicycle spoke to poke out various hardened goos and I have to do a vinegar bath (or muriatic acid bath if it's really stubborn) on the actual venturi because I can't reach into the part the intake tube goes into and sometimes there are little floaty bits in there.
You skimmer doesn't overflow when the ATO is on?
Old 05-14-2014, 03:13 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

It's not on enough to overflow it. It only kicks on for a few seconds at a time. It does raise the foam a tiny bit.