Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 04-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about
Default run speedwave 2640 without controller?

I'm assuming the controller for my pump is to blame. For the past few days the pump has been turning off and then back on after a few seconds. Early this morning it turned off but did not come back on. The unit still lights up and responds to the pressing of it's buttons but the pump does nothing. The impeller assembly spins freely there's just nothing happening.

So my questions is, can I cut the power cables and connect the pump directly to the power supply? I'm assuming the brick is converting the AC to DC and not the little speed controller but I could be wrong. I already cut the wires and found only two exiting the brick and 3 entering the pump. One of the three appears to be a ground wire.

Red and white wires from the brick. Blue, red and a green/yellow entering the pump.

I don't trust this thing for regular duty and have a mag 18 running in its place. I would however like to use it for maintenance jobs like pump new sw into my sump etc when needed.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:57 PM

roblarss is on a distinguished road

I dont think there is a way without a controller of some sort. The wires are 24v+, negative, and pwm (speed control) signal.

The power supply is just converting AC to 24VDC.

I have one connected to an arduino giving a pwm signal for ramp up/down.

I just had my power supply replaced under warranty on one of my pumps. Showed up very fast. I think its a one year warranty.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

yeah my supply is still ok as far as i know. bummer i can't connect the pump directly to it. i had a good laugh at the sticker on the brick warning me to not open the supply. my supply literally FELL open when i picked it up. i never removed screws or anything lol.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:22 PM

roblarss is on a distinguished road

its possible it is your power supply. Mine had the green light on and when turned up on the control pad the light would go out briefly and then back on. It also made a buzzing noise when loaded up.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:08 AM

jordsyke is on a distinguished road

yea the power supplys suck on these pumps , i am already replacing one
Old 04-11-2014, 04:32 AM
Vendor

nrosdal is on a distinguished road

If you run any kind of controller you can just order the jebao cable from reef angel and run the regular power supply and have the apex or whatever controller you have tell it to be on or off.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:39 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Hey Brett I had the same issue with a Waveline 12000, I switched out the power supply and its all good now.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 04-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Gold Member

Thanks guys. Refuse to spend more money to get this POS working again. I'll be just as happy to go smash it in an alley for all the headaches it gave me =)
Old 04-11-2014, 04:11 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

If you have a multimeter at home, it would be an idea to check the output of the power supply to confirm that it's providing 24 volts. Alternatively, you could connect a couple of car batteries in series to act as a 24 volt DC supply & hook that to your controller. This would at least confirm which component is unserviceable, the power supply or the controller.

Without any kind of schematic, it's near impossible to troubleshoot any further than that. I assume that the pump itself could be run on a straight DC signal, anywhere from 12 to 24 volts should get it kickstarted, but that's just a guess without any further data or schematics. The green/yellow wire to the pump is very likely a safety ground, but could also be a signal wire for control. Without confirming it's function, probably not a good idea to hook it directly to a DC supply.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_5/chpt_2/2.html

Last edited by mike31154; 04-11-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:04 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

I'm using mine with a 19V universal laptop power supply. So if you have a laptop power supply handy, or anything that puts out 15V to 24 V you can see if the pump runs. I believe the pumps won't run properly with less than 15V but I may be wrong on that as I haven't tried it.