Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-04-2014, 02:56 PM

kengeroo is on a distinguished road
Default MP10 not pushing much water ,, options ?

So I have my tank setup, Redsea C-250...
I slapped a MP10 into one end of it.

I tried every mode and can't get a decent wave..

2 questions,,,

1) MP10 max glass thickness is 9.5mm , mine is 10 mm,, will this be an issue ??

2) to get a wave going should I replace the MP10 with a MP40 ? or get a second MP10..

Ecotech rates the MP10 for 50 gal,, my tank is 55 gal,,,
will getting 2 MP10's bump up my rating to 100 Gal ???

I'm thinking if yes,, then 2 MP10's will give me more flexibility,, but if they are too puny than I'd rather get a MP40

thoughts ??? thx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eee.jpg (42.7 KB, 46 views)
Old 04-04-2014, 03:22 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Two would be ideal as the Vortechs work way better in groups. Random flow is way better than a wave and thats what you want. Adding another MP10 would help alot but take in mind if you bump up to the 40s the noise level may get annoying
Old 04-06-2014, 07:46 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

i have 2 mp10s in a 125 6 foot long tank it thats all i need they are at 75% wave mode and it covers all the tank and almost no dead spots

bought a wp25 thinking i needed more and i don't as of yet
Old 04-07-2014, 02:01 AM

Razor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Two would be ideal as the Vortechs work way better in groups. Random flow is way better than a wave and thats what you want. Adding another MP10 would help alot but take in mind if you bump up to the 40s the noise level may get annoying
I'm running 2 MP40s and there is a hum but nothing out of the ordinary, doesn't bother me at all.
3 - Fluval E300 heaters
Old 04-07-2014, 04:52 PM

Default decision..

I think I'll be getting a MP40 to pair up with the MP10...

Was wondering if when paired that they would both know that one is a 10 and the other is a 40,,, compensating for the difference or something ??
Old 04-07-2014, 09:17 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

I had an MP10 on my 55 gl, wasn't enough so added the MP40. You don't have to sync them, just have them on the same setting, MP 10 at full, MP 40 at 50% and you are good, or adjust as needed. I have 2 MP40's on my 180, they are synced, and run at the same speed.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:52 AM

Default to sync or not to sync ?

Does not syncing them ensure that they are on the same program ? performing the same function in "Sync" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
I had an MP10 on my 55 gl, wasn't enough so added the MP40. You don't have to sync them, just have them on the same setting, MP 10 at full, MP 40 at 50% and you are good, or adjust as needed. I have 2 MP40's on my 180, they are synced, and run at the same speed.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:08 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengeroo View Post
Does not syncing them ensure that they are on the same program ? performing the same function in "Sync" ???
Sure, but then you can only adjust the speed on the main one which controls both. When I added two mp 40's to my 180, my mp10 on the 55 got programmed as well and I couldn't adjust the speed. I had to unprogram it. Might be different with just the 2, so just try it.

When I just had the 55, the were both set on reef crest, at different speeds, not synced and that tank did just fine.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:58 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

You can get a lot more water movement from a pump if you place it as close to the surface as you can without it sucking air. Place it in the middle (front to back) and point directly across the length of the tank. You will get an oscillating flow this way. You might be able to get the movement you want by doing this.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:39 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Once you have multiple EcoTech pumps with wireless enabled drivers, your flow options are virtually limitless. Take some time to read through your owner's manual, there's plenty of info in there as to the optimum settings for various set ups. I have 3 MP40s on my 77 gallon. They are set up in a Master/Slave relationship running in TSM (Tidal Swell Mode) with maximum speed set at about 80%. No need to worry about sync or anti-sync, TSM takes care of that automatically. The one on the back glass is limited to a lower speed since my tank is narrow. I know of no other pump system out there that offers the flexibility in choices to run multiple pumps that EcoTech offers with the W ES drivers.

I'm fairly certain MP10s are designed for nano tanks & while there are differing opinions on the definition of 'nano', a 55 gallon tank such as yours would be considered as pushing it in the nano world. Nevertheless, you have an MP10 and that's fine. I wish I had one for my back glass instead of the MP40, but as mentioned, the ability for me to limit it's maximum speed independent of the other 2 pumps, allows me to use it no problem. The advantage an MP10 would give me, is an even smaller footprint in the tank. The advantage of the MP40 in a mid size tank, is that you don't have to run it at 100% to get the flow you need, and that translates into a lower level of motor noise.

Last edited by mike31154; 04-08-2014 at 03:48 AM.