Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 03-25-2014, 05:54 AM

Drfu is on a distinguished road
Default RO water, where do you get yours?

So i have been buying my RO from the Water Store up in the NE as I'm usually up there once a week, their refills are only $2 for 5g, also i know Pisces gets it from them. I have been noticing phosphorus in my tanks so after a few wc and adding phosguard they didn't change. I just tested my ro water from them & found it to be close to 20ppb or .06 ppm of phosphate.

Now i do get it from the vending machine so i plan on going in and asking them whats up? But just in case I'm looking for an inexpensive option, prefer something in the west end where i live.

And before you all say just buy a rodi unit its not in the budget at this time.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:47 AM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

How is it not in the budget? You spend 2$ for 5 gallons?? Thats crazy. Add that up. Sounds way more expensive to me. You can find a used cheap RO for like 50$
Old 03-25-2014, 08:54 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

in another thread calculated my total ro/di water costs for evaporating 2g/day and 60g/month in water changes, used a 4:1 waste ratio and included the ro/di unit price taking in account filters/di/membrane changes and it worked out to 2 cent per gallon. Add in not having to carry around 5g jugs of water, just doesn't make sense not to have your own home system.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:30 PM

Simons is on a distinguished road

yes in the long run it is far more cost affective to buy an RO/DI unit. I can see in the short term using it as a solution but, I fill up my 20 Gal ATO container twice a week and I just can't see me hauling that much water around, never mind the price.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:31 PM

Having an 8 gallon & 15 gallon tank equals out to about 3 gallons a week i changes so my thought process is @ $ $80 a year was not worth spending from what i thought would be over $400 installed for a 5 stage unit with reservoir & labour.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
in another thread calculated my total ro/di water costs for evaporating 2g/day and 60g/month in water changes, used a 4:1 waste ratio and included the ro/di unit price taking in account filters/di/membrane changes and it worked out to 2 cent per gallon. Add in not having to carry around 5g jugs of water, just doesn't make sense not to have your own home system.
Used cheap one for $50, where? And would i still have to buy filters for it that cost how much for 5 filters, better off with a new one. Like i said, its just nit in the budget @ this time.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:19 PM

likwid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drfu View Post
Having an 8 gallon & 15 gallon tank equals out to about 3 gallons a week i changes so my thought process is @ $ $80 a year was not worth spending from what i thought would be over $400 installed for a 5 stage unit with reservoir & labour.
I bought my system off eBay for $200. 5 stage filter that is portable and hooks right up to your faucet. Came with many carbon/filter/etc replacements as well. I get 0 TDS every time. Although it takes about 2 hours to fill a 5 gallon jug, this is the best solution in my opinion for a smaller tank.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:47 PM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

Got my 4 stage for 60$ with newfilters
Old 03-25-2014, 04:02 PM

jay2x is on a distinguished road

http://www.aquasafecanada.com/store/...e-ro-di-system

I got this nice deal! I'm not sure what you guys are take on aquasafe.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:36 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drfu View Post
Used cheap one for $50, where? And would i still have to buy filters for it that cost how much for 5 filters, better off with a new one. Like i said, its just nit in the budget @ this time.
wasn't me that said $50.

btw, I'm still using the aquasafecanada unit I bought back around 2005. Other than filter/di changes only other things replaced was the ASOV, a check valve and o-rings. Not like there's much to go wrong but no complaints re: quality.