Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 03-14-2014, 10:47 PM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road
Default Apex - Updating firmware

The instructions state that the Apex must be hard wired to the router, which mine is, but the computer that I will be running the update from is connected wirelessly. Do I need to run a cable to the router to do the firmware update?
Old 03-14-2014, 10:51 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

you're supposed to in case connectivity is lost. i actually updated from a wirelessly connected computer myself several times without issue. maybe not a smart thing to do if you risk bricking the unit.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:51 PM

FishingGoalie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
The instructions state that the Apex must be hard wired to the router, which mine is, but the computer that I will be running the update from is connected wirelessly. Do I need to run a cable to the router to do the firmware update?
You shouldn't need to. Well at least I didn't have to.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:54 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I always have to connect wired.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:51 AM

kacairns is on a distinguished road

The second time I attempted to update the firmware with a wireless connection I bricked the unit, fortunately I managed to hard reset everything myself but and took a day to get it back up and running now I make sure wire on both not just one or the other! Fortunately it was only running 3 fresh water tanks at that time so wasn't as much of a problem as it could of been!
Old 03-15-2014, 04:14 AM

Ok that settles it. I will borrow my company
laptop to hook up direct.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:19 PM

Coincidently I just read a Neptune post on Facebook and Fusion has been released to open beta.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:34 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacairns View Post
The second time I attempted to update the firmware with a wireless connection I bricked the unit, fortunately I managed to hard reset everything myself but and took a day to get it back up and running now I make sure wire on both not just one or the other! Fortunately it was only running 3 fresh water tanks at that time so wasn't as much of a problem as it could of been!
I have never updated my Apex since after initial implementation because of this very concern. I do have it hardwired so should be OK. But it is working fine now, with internet access, etc, and I have a lot of programming that I did on the various outlets. So would hate to mess up a good thing...

This is sort of my philosophy with computers as well. After the initial firmware updates, I leave them alone.

But maybe I am missing something. Are there some useful features that I should be taking advantage of? I am running version 4.12_5A12 right now. Or should I LITFA?
Old 03-15-2014, 03:03 PM

kacairns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
I have never updated my Apex since after initial implementation because of this very concern. I do have it hardwired so should be OK. But it is working fine now, with internet access, etc, and I have a lot of programming that I did on the various outlets. So would hate to mess up a good thing...

This is sort of my philosophy with computers as well. After the initial firmware updates, I leave them alone.

But maybe I am missing something. Are there some useful features that I should be taking advantage of? I am running version 4.12_5A12 right now. Or should I LITFA?
Here are list of updates the firmware have provided since the one you're using. Pretty much, just updates to support new hardware such as the feeder, wireless modules, fusion and misc bug fixes are the main updates in the firmware have provided. Unfortunately they don't list what the "misc bug fixes" are... There is also a new beta firmware out due to Fusion so will be another firmware probably in next month for bugfixes specifically found while Fusion is in this open beta stage

************************************************** ******************************
* Firmware Revision History
************************************************** ******************************
Apex 4.31 12/10/13 Release 3B14
- Revised 'If Sun' & 'If Moon' statement functionality. See Official guide for details.
- Updated probe/switch renaming.
- AWM Hydra/Vega/Hydra52 support
- WXM Radion Support.
- Update Apex Fusion interface
- Bootloader update.
- misc bug fixes.

Apex 4.30 10/30/12 Release CB13
- AFS Support
- EB6 Schuko Support.
- AWM Support.
- Apex Fusion Support.
- Bootloader update.
- misc bug fixes.

Apex 4.20 10/30/12 Release 1B12
- Apex Dashboard interface.
- ALD Support.
- EB6 Support.
- Web server performance enhancements.
- Bootloader update.
- misc bug fixes.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:33 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Or should I LITFA?
As you know, this is my general approach to reef keeping. However, I do upgrade firmware each release. I've never had a problem, other than it not working unless hard wired. You can do a back up of your config, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. But again, if it's working and you don't need support for those items added, maybe leave it alone.