Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 03-10-2014, 07:47 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road
Default Slow R/O unit water production

What would cause an R/O unit to slow water production? I have a 100 gl/day RO unit (Vertex), and lately it is taking forever to produce 30 gls of water. By forever I mean I ran the unit from 4 pm yesterday afternoon and at 8:30 this morning I had maybe 15 gls of water. My membrane was changed a year ago and the filters 9 months ago. My TDS meter reads 0 so no reason to change anything. The unit is approx. 2 1/2 years old.

Previously, I'd run the water from 9 pm and by 7 am, I was close to overfilling the 30 gl container. I typically don't touch the unit and run it once a week, depending on outside temps. Length of time running depends on whether I've done a water change or not (fill one or two containers).
Old 03-10-2014, 07:48 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Do your pre-filters need changing?
Old 03-10-2014, 07:54 PM

I thought they might require a change as well, but the is TDS reading zero so I thought I could rule that out. Maybe not??
Old 03-10-2014, 07:58 PM

ronau is on a distinguished road

Is there anyway the restrictor was removed or maybe it's worn?
Old 03-10-2014, 07:59 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

0 TDS is after the membrane. But when the pre-filters plug up and need changing, water flow will slow down to almost nothing. I now use a finer sediment (1st filter) and change it first, before the more expensive downstream carbon block filters get plugged. Otherwise they will plug as well, and you have to change the whole works.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:01 PM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
0 TDS is after the membrane. But when the pre-filters plug up and need changing, water flow will slow down to almost nothing. I now use a finer sediment (1st filter) and change it first, before the more expensive downstream carbon block filters get plugged. Otherwise they will plug as well, and you have to change the whole works.
+1
Old 03-10-2014, 08:07 PM

And this is why I love this forum so much!!! Thanks guys! I will try to pick up new filters in the next couple of days.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:29 PM

rogesue is on a distinguished road
Default RO

Hi I am also from Calgary. My R O production is down to. It is due to the cold temps we have been experiencing. Your water should improve now it is balmy outside. 😉
Old 03-10-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogesue View Post
Hi I am also from Calgary. My R O production is down to. It is due to the cold temps we have been experiencing. Your water should improve now it is balmy outside. ��
Hmm, not sure that's the reason, I was running the unit yesterday and it was quite nice. I've never found temps to be an issue, only with evaporation.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:47 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Do you have a water pressure gauge? Handy item to help diagnose production issues & also when to change filters. I can often tell visually when my 1st stage 5 micron sediment filter is due for a change through the clear filter housing. It gets quite yellow/rusty looking. But the primary indicator for me comes through the use of 2 pressure gauges, one providing the source pressure (plumbed in before the first stage) & one providing pressure right before the RO membrane. This gives me a pressure differential reading & when that starts to rise, it's time to look at the pre-filters. The less pressure loss between pre filters (including carbon stage(s)) & the RO membrane, the cleaner they are.