Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-10-2014, 03:55 AM

Adrenaline101 is on a distinguished road
Default Adrenaline's 100G Hopefully I get it right build!

I am late to the game with a build thread but since I tossed this together in a few days its pretty close to the "start"

Decided the 90 cube just wasn't "me" so I went on a search for a tank.
Found a pretty good deal on a 100G, with wood stand and sump.
Got the tank all home and the only build design that was quirky was going through the euro brace with the returns, but hell, I am ok with different. Wasn't a huge fan of the homemade wood stand, was sturdy as all hell but not too pretty and would be interesting to skin it afterwards.

Got together about 40' of 1" steel tube and tada! a new stand was born.

Only hitch I've run into so far is I rushed stupidly and didn't get big proper spears 1 1/2" unions, tried the black abs ones and had a leak, over tightened it and snapped the fitting right off. Thankfully the valve was shut off, so I switched the durso standpipe over to the emergency standpipe side and I am just running one drain until I can run and get proper unions tomorrow.

Enough talking! Details:
100G 48L x 24W x 20H, Euro braced, 2 x 3/4" returns, 2 x 1 1/2" drains in external overflow, apparently some of it is starfire, I am too daft to tell.

Lighting : 48" Trinity T5HO 4 x54w and led moonlights. I wanted a combo light like this so figured I'd give the JBJ a trial, weren't a ton of reviews online compared to something like the Coralife.
Fluval Sea Nano tablet light on the sump.

Powerheads: 2 x Jebao WP-25's

Return Pump: Aqua Euro 800gph

Skimmer : AGM G4x w Sedna 9000 pump ( this is temp as its too big)

ATO: Auto Aqua Smart ATO ( won this at the reef meet, its more meant for nano's but wanted to see how it works"

Current stock list:
Purple Tilefish
Marine Betta Grouper
Spotted Mandarin Dragonet
Orange Marked Goby
Cleaner Wrasse
Emerald Crab
Sally Lightfoot Crab
Various hermits and snails

Old 03-10-2014, 04:26 AM

RDNanoGuy is on a distinguished road

Looks like a great start! I really like your rockscape and your use of the branching rock. Kind of reminds me of a tree stump in a FW aquascape.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:55 PM

Thanks, I am certainly not the best aquascaper but I am learning slowly.
I love the look of Tonga branch but it really is hard to scape it without cementing/ pinning it to a base.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:09 PM

ronau is on a distinguished road

Looks good, I'm not much for long builds either.

I think I have a spare Schedule 80 (grey) 1.5" union, let me know if you need it and I'll dig through my stuff.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:01 AM

Thanks, I actually had the girlfriend go pick me up two today. Sadly threaded unions are too big so I will have to take them back tomorrow for slips and cement them in.

Some random livestock photos. Hopefully get some of the tilefish and betta at feeding time.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:09 AM

Ryancw is on a distinguished road

how do you like the smart ATO so far compared to any other ATO youve used. i just grabbed one myself
Old 03-11-2014, 02:14 AM

I am not sure how much stress I will be putting on the little wee pump with the open top/open sump/hot t5's combo but so far it works well.
Only complaint I have heard from anyone using it is that it has to be initialized above water level, so if you have a power outage and your sump level rises and evens out you will know as it will be beeping constantly.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:05 AM

Azzkr is on a distinguished road

How do you like your marine betta does it pick on anything? you should post some pics of him. Nice set up so far
Old 03-11-2014, 02:42 PM

That is about the only photo I have of it, has been shy since the tank move.
Haven't had any problems with the betta, if anything its a very passive fish in my tank.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:33 AM

Small update. Pretty much everything in the tank is going well, have to reattach the mount for the sump light as I forgot to scuff up the glass where it mounted and it took a dive into the water. Amazingly it was still on and working fine in the morning and continues to be right now.

1 probable casualty to report though. Have no clue where there cleaner wrasse has gone, no corpse in the water, overflow or sump.
Getting some hair algae popping up now, never had an issue in the 90G with LEDS, thinking it could be the higher white light from the 10K T5's.
Have set up a simple water change schedule so far of 5G every 2 days like clockwork until I figure out how I want to set up a bigger change over in dining room area its in.

Snapped a few more pictures, keep trying to get a decent picture of the Betta Grouper with my real camera but only seems to be out when I have my phone handy.

This is the same big hammer that looks a lot more pink in some of my first pictures, strange colour changes.